CF-3 with a X-over problem--easy to fix?

bdbaba

Aloha!

Would this be "The" Roy" -- as in Del Gado? I have been wanting to get hold of you. My Bro already has a pair of version one CF-3s. They sound great. I have not had a chance to A/B them with my Chorus version 1s yet. Tomorrow hopefully.

I do have a question for you.

These speakers seem to be an anomoly. The serial numbers on these are 041593774 and 04159775. Inspected by j hood and tested by w jones. They have the 5 1/2" port tubes and a grayish horn, however, they do not have the "clear wire" inside. The wire is green and black going to the tweeter--the other wire is colored as well.

Are these version ones? Version twos? If I am reading the S/N correctly, they were made on the 41rst day of 1995.

Thanks for the help and for designing such a great Speaker!!!!

Mahalo nui loa,

bdbaba

Hey Roy,

Still out there? Hopefully you can shed some light on the question above.

I did a more extensive listen today. Both the Chorus and the CF-3 are great speakers. With the Chorus being so much more efficient, getting the proper levels while trying to A/B them was difficult at best. I think they each have their plusses. The Chorus seem to be a bit clearer in the Mid/Highs--but not by much. The Epics seem to have a bigger and tighter Bass--but again, not night and day. They each hold their own quite well.

Still more listening to do before I decide which to keep. Maybe I will keep them both until either another Chorus or another CF-3 shows up on island. Then I will keep that pair so I can have three of the same spekkers up front and sell the other pair. Wonder what the wife would say to that.

I guess i could always get some of those nifty little cubes instead......[+o(]

Hey Dean!

Hope you are great. I unscrewed the X-over and pulled the wires off the taps--cleaned them--then reattached them. That was all it was. Either they were loose, or they had some crud on them. Either way, they are working and i am happy! Still not sure which pair I am going to keep.

Have a great night out on the mainland.

bdbaba

Hey Trey,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been talking with Steve Phillips--he is very easy to talk to and very knowledgable. I think all of you guy's deserve a big raise![H]

He said that the version one's had the clear wire--my brother's are version one's and do have the clear wire.

However, only the version ones were supposed to have the 5 1/2 inch port tubes, which mine do have--so do my Bro's.

I figure mine are version ones that were on the cusp of the change. I hope so anyway. At least i know they have the better drivers like the originals and the longer port tubing. Not sure if there were any other major differences between the two.

Do you have a pair of these?

Aloha!

Would this be "The" Roy" -- as in Del Gado? I have been wanting to get hold of you. My Bro already has a pair of version one CF-3s. They sound great. I have not had a chance to A/B them with my Chorus version 1s yet. Tomorrow hopefully.

I do have a question for you.

These speakers seem to be an anomoly. The serial numbers on these are 041593774 and 04159775. Inspected by j hood and tested by w jones. They have the 5 1/2" port tubes and a grayish horn, however, they do not have the "clear wire" inside. The wire is green and black going to the tweeter--the other wire is colored as well.

Are these version ones? Version twos? If I am reading the S/N correctly, they were made on the 41rst day of 1995.

Thanks for the help and for designing such a great Speaker!!!!

Mahalo nui loa,

bdbaba

i think (it been quite a few years) that there were some version 1's with colored wire. the gray horn and long ports gives me the impression that these are ver 1's.

i am glad that you like the speaker.

take care,

roy

Hey Roy,

Still out there? Hopefully you can shed some light on the question above.

I did a more extensive listen today. Both the Chorus and the CF-3 are great speakers. With the Chorus being so much more efficient, getting the proper levels while trying to A/B them was difficult at best. I think they each have their plusses. The Chorus seem to be a bit clearer in the Mid/Highs--but not by much. The Epics seem to have a bigger and tighter Bass--but again, not night and day. They each hold their own quite well.

Still more listening to do before I decide which to keep. Maybe I will keep them both until either another Chorus or another CF-3 shows up on island. Then I will keep that pair so I can have three of the same spekkers up front and sell the other pair. Wonder what the wife would say to that.

I guess i could always get some of those nifty little cubes instead......Ick!

cubes are nice.......especially in tea.....sugar that is......

take care,

roy

Aloha Roy!

I think you should give yourself a raise as well! Thanks for the info. I am lucky enough to have a wife that likes big speakers. These CF-3s look downright small compared to the Mirage M3si that I had back on the mainland.

Wonder what the odds of me finding a pair of Jubilees on island......... Hmmmmm........ [;)]

Thnaks again for everything.

bdbaba