Need a little help with speaker potentiometers

Lonelobo

I hope this isn't inappropriate for the Klipsch forum, but I will beg your indulgence since my question concerns my Frazier Model 7 speakers. I know however, that the collective knowledge on this list will be able to point me in the right direction.

I bought these speakers a few months back, hooked them up, and they had problems. Mid's and high's completely mucked up and the "BRILLIANCE" AND "PRESCENCE" pots would go crazy if you even looked at them. So tonight I dug into one of them to remove the pots for replacement. While I'm at it I thought I would take a look at the caps in the crossover.

The pots have the following specs embossed on them:

8ohms, 15 Watts

Culver Electronics, INC

Inglewood, ca.

That's it, no more specs. So how do I go about finding replacements? Do I need to do more testing to figure out what resistance range I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

The caps are 4 12uF 100v axial wired in parallel. Am I right in assuming that caps in parallel like this can be replaced with a single 48uF 100v cap. What kind of caps are appropriate in speakers?

If this isn't an appropriate arena for my education concerning these matters, please contact me off list.

ron@loneloboproductions.com

Lonelobo,

I owned a pair of Mark V's in the late 70's - mid 80's. These were the smaller brothers to the sevens. The sevens had the side heimholtz resonator along with a second tweeter. I rebuilt mine into sevens later on and added a Motorola tweeter. Crossovers were the same from the sound of it because they all used the same internal components. I believe the L-pads were 8ohm (not real good - mine had a dead spot) and I would replace them with a good quality set from Parts Express (100 watters) though the controls are close together. You may have to do some mods. The caps were 4- 12mfd in parallel and yes, could be replaced with a 48mfd. They were cheaper caps so it would be good to replace them. The Daton caps at Part Express are very good for the price. The tweeters didn't have anything due to them being piezo. The mids ran full range and the tweeters just came in due to their natural rolloff.

Great pair of speakers to rebuild especially if the black walnut veneer is still intact. Not much to the crossover which is good.

Congratulations on the Fraziers.

The pots you are referring to are probably L-pads. One is for the tweeter and the other is for the mid-range. It sounds like they may have dirty contacts. One possibility is to spray some deoxit on them (at the points of electrical contact) and then work the knobs back and forth. Otherwise you have enough information from the label to purchase new ones. You may actually want to get a higher wattage version. I am not sure if the insertion loss will differ across manufacturers, but if it does....well the knob can be adjusted.

The caps can be (and should be) replaced. The brand is probably not a big deal if you don't go too cheap (others will argue this point). I have used Solens from Parts Express and caps and the service were fine. There may be a reason that 4 caps were used in parallel (double check the circuit if you are uncertain if that is actually the wiring). One possibility is that this was done to decrease series resistance. The caps are not expensive so I would not try and substitute with a single cap.

Good Luck,

-Tom