New - Super "C" Walls (Super Cornwalls)

Catbo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do the goldwood horns have to be adapted to receive the Atlas PD-5VH midrange driver?

Yes, I used an adapter for a 2" throat bolt type to a 1" throat for a 1-3/8"-18 TPI screw driver. It's just under 1 1/2 inches or so and cost around $6.00 to $7.00 each and "made in china" The guy I bought them from purchased them for that price at a local PA Systems/Audio store. It's made out of aluminum and has a nice black satin finish/paint.

Those have a beautiful finish..............Nice woodworking skills too with all the screws and no glue.

Thank you.

I did use glue to get a very good seal on the enclosure but I needed the screws to hold it all together until the glue dried [;)], because I didn't have anything to hold it together until it dried! [:^)], but screws+glue only makes for a stronger hold I would think!

Can you supply an address, phone, or e-mail address for the adapter supplier? I have the Goldwood horn, and was looking for that type of adapter. Any source information would be appreciated. Thank you!!

I contacted the guy who purchased the adapters I have, it was purchased almost a year ago. It seems there was a China Company making speaker drivers, compression drivers, horns, and adapters that didn't make it and sold off all their inventory. So the adapter I have, I have not been able to locate anyone on the internet having it in stock, searched Google and can't find it, but it has no name on it, just "made in china". I talked to www.jamacspeakers.com and they said they don't see those lately but said they carry the 1" bolt to 2" bolt adapter for $14.00 and have the 1" bolt to 1-3/8" screw adapter for $7.00, he said the two adapters would be needed now to do the same, for the 1-3/8" screw driver to 2" bolt horn. Click on contact information for address and phone number. Sounds like they may be able to help. He said they have two of each in stock now.

I also remember coming across a German website of a guy who makes wooden horns and he showed on his website how to make a wooden adapter to mount a compression driver to any plastic or wooden 1" or 2" throat horn just out of a 1 ?/?" thick and 2" to 3" square wood that he cuts into shape and makes the exit hole from a tool bit he uses on a drill. It was interesting because I've never seen anyone do that and he said that works well. I spent some time last night trying to find that website again and cannot find it nor does my memory recall the website name. He made it look easy to do. If I find that website again, I'll post it here, or maybe someone else knows the website?

I think I have found a one piece adapter that will do what needs to be done to join the Atlas driver to the Goldwood horn. Go to www.speakercity.com, then click on the P-Audio logo. In their listing of company sectors, go the the P-Audio Adapters, and scroll down to the PC50. It's a one piece unit that looks like it should do the job. I have a couple of them coming to me to experiment. I'll let you know how it goes; it is supposed to be 3.5" tall, so I'll have to see if I can make the three pieces fit into a CornScala II box.

In searching for an adapter I came across this compression driver that would be a direct connect.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=04-300

Seems like a very high quality unit, can anyone think of a drawback of using this instead?

And for myself I don't know if a tweeter would at all be necessary with this driver, I doubt very much I could hear anything over 18,000 Hz at this point :-)

GaryO75 - wow, thanks for sharing that with us! I searched all over the internet looking for one and couldn't find it any where. I've had a few people asking me where to just get a 1-peice adapter to use with the Goldwood horn, now maybe this one will help them out. It should work as long as the horn + adapter + comp.driver = no more than 13 1/2 inches internally from front to back for the original cornwall size. You will also gain 1 inch or more (can't remember) if you front mount the horn like I did. Let us know how it works out for you and thanks again for sharing where to get an adapter for it!! [*]

dmonte, I don't see why the P-Audio BMD-750 2"Throat Compression Driver wouldn't work, as long as you make the compensations needed to the crossovers you use for the proper output to it and the woofer. I have the Klipschorn's that go up to 17 kHz and other speakers that go to 20 to 23 kHz and I can't hear any difference, I hear everything in the Klipschorn's that the others higher kHz
do so I guess my ears aren't sensitive enough to pickup higher than 17kHz?? Looks to me you could bypass the tweeter but I'm not one to know enough to say for sure on anything but you could always give it a try and see how you like the sound.

• 1 month later...

Hi dmonte, I'm very pleased with the Super C walls. I've been amazed with the sound quality. It's a very clean, clear, and smooth sound. Piano keys and strings sound more realistic and the overall sound just sounds more rounded, fuller sounding, more real sounding, more relaxed sounding, and a little more detailed, probably has much to do with the tratrix horn with these differences?

I haven't been listening to my Klipschorn's. I find myself listening to the Super C Walls more than any of my other speakers. If I were to build another, I wouldn't make any changes with how this has a very nice balance from top to bottom. I would be curious how a larger horn setup would sound like the jubilee but I can't imagine a larger sound than I'm already getting with the Super C Walls, but I know the jubilee would be larger sounding. I'm happy with the Super C Walls sound and feel content and set with it.

How's your speaker project going?