Im building a room around my speakers any magic formula sizes?

darthdave

I can't believe that nobody hear on a Klipsch Forum, directed this guy to PWKs paper on the Golden Mean Cube in the Dope from Hope...

I believe it is 16' by 20' with 10 foot ceiling or near there off of the top of my head. That is for a two channel system. My brother-in-law built this at one and a half scale Aprox for three speakers across the front with a room of 24' by 32'. I wired it all for him and we built a false wall across the front that can be accessed behind the big screen as it is mounted flush to the wall and can be pulled forward. His two subs and all of his equipement are either flush mounted or slightly recessed. I wired this behind space with lighting, plenty of recepticles for equipement, with sepperate 30 amp circuits for subs and amps. It is extremely nice to be able to get behind the equipement for any inter connect changes you may wish to make from time to time, with plenty of room to mount cables neatly to avoid RF interfierence from other sources. It amazes me to no end to see mega bucks spent on equipement with crap in considderation for accoustics.

Roger

I guess its mighty important to be debt free nowadays with all the turbulence in the market and real estate.

I think the papers that are previously posted in this thread are basically like a golden mean cube guideline. And I certainly agree that accoustics are massively vital in a good system but I dont suppose alot of people are lucky enough to get to build a theater/living space like me, so I will be making the most of all the great and extremely helpful input I have received on this post so far. I am not really sure I will be able to afford enough dead space to make my subs disappear into the walls so if anyone has any idea if building them into corners is ok, or should I put up a short false wall/shelflike thing in the front of the room and keep them firing directly at the listening position? I certainly dont want to build something that will cause them to be too boomy and muddy.

just food for thought

Bummer it doesnt provide any measurements to verify the concepts they present - and then at the end of the exercise they recommend tweaking the location by ear...might as well pick the position by ear first if the model isn't going to provide sufficient results. [8-|]

Here's a good article that kinda brushes the surface of HT acoustics:
http://www.rpginc.com/cgi-bin/byteserver.pl/news/library/HT_AcD.pdf
And then here's a few more:
http://www.rpginc.com/news/library.htm

And then here's another site:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
I don't agree with some of the things mentioned by Winer, but at least it'll get you thinking about some of the issues at play and some of the DIY options out there.

I am not really sure I will be able to afford enough dead space to make my subs disappear into the walls so if anyone has any idea if building them into corners is ok, or should I put up a short false wall/shelflike thing in the front of the room and keep them firing directly at the listening position?

What subs were you gonna go with? Not all subs can be flushmounted or hidden or any of that. The front corners of the room generally work the best as long as the modal distribution is good at the listening position.

Wow I can't believe I still had this link in my documents.

Anyway this site has great info on setting up a room for home theater. There is a mode calculater to help set up your room and so much vital info. I used this whhen I was designing my room. Hope it helps you move forward on your new HT. Good luck and ask lots of Q's.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1791190,00.asp