SME 3009 Series II Improved best cart for it?

khorn51

Ooo, that's a drag. I do have an Ortofon RS-212 here as well. Perhaps that will work with the 103 (that I have sitting in its little box).

Totally unable to find the apparent mass for this arm - even downloaded the manual and it isnt there. The good news, however, is that it supports cartridges from 7 to 19 grams - so we are covered for most of them.

Have a play and see what happens.

The Zu works fine with a SME 3009 II, but I could use the heavier counterweight as this one is all the way to the rear. [:D]

My Zu DL-103R is waiting for me when I get home tomorrow night. It will be nice to hook it up on Friday and spin some records with it. I'm really looking forward to it.

Mike

Ooo, that's a drag. I do have an Ortofon RS-212 here as well. Perhaps that will work with the 103 (that I have sitting in its little box).

Totally unable to find the apparent mass for this arm - even downloaded the manual and it isnt there. The good news, however, is that it supports cartridges from 7 to 19 grams - so we are covered for most of them.

Max, I will do that...one of these days. The Ortofon came installed on the Thorens TD-124 I picked up a couple years ago (for $200!).

So, what are we gonna do about the perfect cart for the SME??? (my SME is currently installed on a Kenwood KD-500, with an Ortofon X5-MC HOMC)

Max, I will do that...one of these days. The Ortofon came installed on the Thorens TD-124 I picked up a couple years ago (for $200!).

So, what are we gonna do about the perfect cart for the SME??? (my SME is currently installed on a Kenwood KD-500, with an Ortofon X5-MC HOMC)

I just listed my Shure branded SME 3009 Series II Improved on ePay earlier this evening. I got it from the original owner along with a 124. It had the Shure v15 Type III in the headshell. I also have all of the original Shure and SME documentation and there was a lot of cross-promotion going on. I'll be honest with you, I never listened to the Shure. I have a rare early model 3009 with the split counterweight and use the 103. But for users of the "improved" they might want to seek out the v15 III if a good one is available.

I have the same arm sitting in my closet ready for a couple of turntable rebuilds. By chance I have a Shure V-15 III with Original stylus in pretty good shape as well as another V-15 III that came with a bad stylus. I ordered the Ed Saunders replacement stylus ($39) and the

JICO Super Analogue Stylus ($99.95) so I can eventually see if there is a significant difference. Plus I just got a Shure M97Xe to see how it compares. Shure says it is analogous to the V-15.

I also have a Grace 707 arm for a rebuild. I have 2 AR-XA's waiting major mods and a Sony TS-3000 as well awaiting mods. So I need a 3rd arm, but would like to go with a MC for grins. Any suggestions for a decent but affordable arm, preferably used?

OK - the links I gave to Michael - I think I have posted these before which is why I didn't mention them in this thread:

Cartridge Database - http://www.cartridgedb.com/

Linked Tonearm database - http://www.cartridgedb.com/default_arms.asp

Database for manuals and such like - http://www.vinylengine.com/library.shtml

Note - the last one you have to join to get access too - its free and utterly worth it - they have so many manuals for TT's you simply cannot find anywhere else.

Max,

I also poked around a bit, and it appears others have used the 103 with the Ortofon RS 212 with success. I think someone connected with the ACA has that setup as well.

Totally unable to find the apparent mass for this arm - even downloaded the manual and it isnt there.

Max,

Looks like the effective mass of the RS-212 is 17 grams, based on this document,page 13.

Three posts in a row, woohoo.

Looking at the "cartridge resonant evaluator" in Max's link, it appears the ideal tonearm for the DL-103 (stock form) would be way over 30 grams! According to the chart, Mike's setup would resonate at 16Hz (stock 103), or 14Hz (Zu modded). Am I reading this correctly? Perhaps 16Hz ain't so bad? I'm a tad cornfused...

• 4 months later...

The Denon dl103 has a compliance of 5 x 10 at 100 hz , this equates to a lot higher at 10 hz but not quite a factor of two (maybe around 7 or 8 )

If you replace the Plastic bearing on the SME 3009 S2 with modded Brass version like I have , and use a detachable head shell which Maplins sell ,(which is 2 .5 Grms heavier than the SME original ) . The overall mass of the arm (If you use the medium large balance wieght 1902/MWR (135 grms)) increases to close on 14 grms, . The cartridge and headshell alone weighs in at 19.5 grams .The original SME S2 is always quoted incorrectly on most sites, the correct arm mass value in the published SME 3009 S2 manual for the detachable version is 12.5 grms.

My SME 3009 S2 modded in this way with the Denon DL 103 Tracks brilliantly all the HI fi world Test tracks (new version album) Including the Last torture track , with just a slight ickup on the left channel. The horizontal compliance comes in at 10 Hz and the vertical just under at 9 Hz. THe arm and cartridge sounds fantastic to say they are both over 30 yrs old .

Hi ,

Yes, mine is the Improved version. The S2 designates that it has a detachable headshell and only the improved version was called the S2. The early 3009 which had the metal Knife bearing as standard , only came in the form of the detachable headshell, and had a mid to high effective mass as standard.