Belles with Naim electronics

Joe Petrik

Joe, if you can afford it pick the Belles up and replace the x-overs & phrams get yourself a nice little tube amp off a-gon and have yourself two completely different sounding systems. I'm sure the used amp and speaker upgrades could be done under a grand with patience.

You seem very interested in the Belles and this would be the best solution IMHO but then again it's not my wallet. Best of luck to you in whichever direction you goBig Smile

I say the same.

if you get a relacement crossover that alows you to tone down the mid horn it may help with your amp choice. Your sources are excellent. I bought my Belles without hearing them.

An like stated you can get a rebuilt Scott or another tube integrated ( he did not use these tube amps specifically) for less than 600 usd and get a taste of what PWK was thinking about when he engineered them.

The second-hand Belles are selling for $2500 Cdn, which, given the
current exchange rate, is about the same in US dollars. The speakers
appear to be in good shape but the finish has been ruined. I'm guessing
they were treated with a wood cleaner or polish that stripped the
finish irregularly. I think they could be restored easily enough, so
that doesn't concern me other than I wouldn't pay top dollar for a
cosmetically challenged speaker.

=================================

I did not see this before I posted earlier. Seller is in no hurry or on drugs.

1800 usd tops I paid 1500 for mine.

Room is too small for Khorns. Consider a Forte II or Chorus II if they can be found for 700 usd or less. Nice three way horn sound a bit less amazing as a Belle.

You could also do a little tube buffer like a Musical Fidelity added to your preamp if it has a tape loop. You keep the Naim character but warm it up a bit.

I'm trying to work out a price with the owner of the store. I suspect he'll sell the Belles for less than $2500 Cdn (~$2500 US), but how much lower remains to be seen. I'm also hoping for a demonstration at home to determine if my room and Naim electronics will suit the Belles.

Audio Flynn -- I'm not sure what you mean by adding a Musical Fidelity buffer to the Naim amp's tape loop, but, for what it's worth MF is not what I'm after.

Thanks,

Joe

A quick update — the shop must not be eager to sell the
Belles, as I've had two demonstrations now (last Monday and Saturday) and I've just called
to get a price, but the store's owner hasn't come up with a figure yet. Maybe my patience will pay off.

And a quick question — does anyone here use Belles with solid state amps? If so, what are you using and do you think that the combination gels?

Joe

Our Belle center channel uses solid state NAD amps. It sounds good, and never gives offence. It is not as clear, bright and "open" as either of the flanking Klipschorns, though. They use identical solid state amps, and, as you know, use identical drivers, but I thik they are voiced significantly differently (in the crossovers), though. The K-horns DO give offense once in a while, if the recording is "iffy" in the ways we have discussed. With the tapes my friends and I made in the '70s of live events, the K-horns and Belle all sound great!

I think "hardness" is additive, or, worse, interactive. If there is a harsh and hard recording played through unforgiving speakers that don't "smmoosh" and veil the hardness (e.g., Klipshorns, as much as I love 'em, and some say Belles, but I haven't noticed it with them), and a highly reflective room (yours looks like it might be), then the hardness may get out of hand. Diffusion (and sparingly used absorbtion, if diffusion doesn't work) at the first reflection points on walls and ceiling (mirror tests) may help a lot ... but I would insist on an "in home" test of several hours with the Belles.