Wifi from computer to avr suggestions

draynes

Well I just bought my wife a new hp dv2700 laptop. This is to counteract the RF line purchase for me. [:D] Gotta keep the misses happy or now one will be happy. Since I am going to get a wireless router. I was wondering if any one had suggestion on how to play music over wifi to an avr? I know that there are avr's that have wifi receivers built in. But I don't have one, so trying to figure out some alternatives. I currently use a RCA cable from my Presonus Firepod I/O board to the avr. It would be nice to get rid of that wire because for some reason there is interference getting into the signal. Only noticeable at high volume. But it its there none the less. Thanks in advance.

You've got a couple of options. You can look at several units that Logitech makes - called a wireless music system for PC. they've got a least 4 different units. those connect the computer via wi-fi to your stereo. Other option is to use Blue tooth - if you PC has blue tooth already, then all you need is an adapter that connects via the aux inputs of your receiver. If PC doesnt have bluetooth, then you'll need a USB blue tooth adapter for your PC and then the adapter that connects to your receiver. Other option is an Apple TV....

If your AVR has an ethernet port, get a Linksys Wireless gaming adapter. Plug it into the ethernet port of the AVR and set it up to your wireless network. Works PERFECTLY!

If your AVR doesn't, you are going to need something that can sit next to the avr, receive the music from the wireless network, plug directly into the avr as a Aux (or whatever).

I recently purchased a Denon 3808 and have the wireless adapter hooked directly to it. I have my 500gig media drive across the room attached to my PC. I use a free program call TVersity as the server software. What's cool about this set up is I can beam flac audio files across the network to the AVR. Much better than MP3.