tannoy 15 inch woofers

dhsettim

DH--I'm very leery of people claiming improvements to the Khorn with different woofers, PWK designed the basshorn empiracally around the specific woofer used, I've talked to several people reporting poor results with substitutes. I didn't know Tannoy made 15" woofers, all I've seen and heard here in The States are their big 15" co-axials, excellent speakers I think, most excellent.

Hi

Personally I think a better woofer choice is the old

Electro-VOice 15WK. Great speaker. I test it on my Cornwall...

george

------------------

---------------------

Fisher 400-CX pre-amp

Fisher 100 (EL37) monoblocks (3)

Fisher 101R tuner

Fisher 100-MPX

Sony SCD-333ES

Ampex 1260 reel to rell

Garrard 401/SME3012R/Grado

Speakers...

-------------------------

My 58 khorn has a stevens trusoninc 15 woofer(orig stock)

This is a very well made 15 the sound is great.I like it beter than later klipsch speakers.they are somwhat rare today and bring high prices on ebay.

VTC mag rated this speaker as one of the best ever made for horn use.

My 60 corwall (the best sound one I have heard yet)

uses a ev 15-w-k.

klipsch used both ev and stevens woofer in the 50-60s.Both great speakers but exspensive to buy today The Elctor voice 15 w-k and stevens 103-lx2 were designed for use in the Khorn.

As a piston, the 15WK is inferior. Lower Xmax (4 vs 6.7 mm), higher Fs (32 vs 27 Hz) and lower efficiency than K33 E. There is no nostalgia for the woofer in a folded unit, it is a piston. Push an EV 15WK in the range of the K33 E and you smell something burning. Early Klipschorns I have owned had 15WKs in them. I have swapped them out. The improvement in bass output is so significant that the 15WKs are in boxes collecting dust.

In fact, part of the reason that the old drivers "sound" better is because the don't push the horn into spurious resonances. The EV unit brings a cast basket to the baffle throat that does stiffen but this is a second order benefit that is overshadowed by the inability of this driver to properly energize the horn throat at high SPLs.

Just because these drivers bring stupidly high prices on ebay doesn't mean anything. People have more money then common sense. In fact, vintage audio "collectors" have some of the worse sounding gear I've ever heard (myself included).

A driver that comes from the "vintage" days that makes sense in the folded unit is the University C15W. This is the only driver from the 60s that I am aware of that was developed specifically for a compression horn bass unit. Straight, conical cone, huge magnet (6 lbs of Alnico in a 20lb structure), low Fs (24Hz), double spider and decent power handling. Atttached is a comparison to the K 33E.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 01-21-2002 at 07:04 PM

Ok I have never heard a Ev15 in a khorn but in a cornwall and it has geat bass in that setup.

but my klipsch lit. says it was designed for the khorn as well the stevens trusonic???

My Khorns have the trusonic 15 which has great tight deep bass.

My 3rd khorn (still looking for a match has the later

klipsch driver not as tight a littel more sloppy sounding still a nice driver.

Khorn58-I have limited data on the Trusonic 103LX: "Molded" conical cone, 2" VC, 4.5 lbs Alnico magnet, Fs 35Hz, 25W, comes in choice of 8, 16 or 32 ohm VC impedance, Shipping wt 27 lbs. Its a "vintage", heavy, low power driver with limited excursion. These drivers were designed in an era when 10W of amplifier power output was remarkable. You should experiment with a couple of K33 drivers from the LLC. Last I looked they were $200/pr.

Im not a expert in the history of the Klipschorn but I believe that when EV liscensed the folded horn from PWK they set out to manufactured the the Klipschorn with all EV drivers which meant a special LF driver i.e. 15W-K bass unit. On paper the 15W-K has better "numbers" that the 103LX and, if weight means anything, weighs 14lbs more! Klipsch switch from Trusonic/University/Atlas to EV/EV/EV with new crossover around this time (mid fifties). The mid horn however was still a PWK creation.

Also, the Trusonic 105LX was a lighter magnet weight, lower power, lower cost version of the 103LX. Shared the cone, basket. I almost purchased a pair of Klipschorns with these "lightweights" in the compression chamber. The dealer swapped out the 103s prior to my visit. Sometimes it pays to stop by an hour earlier.

Thanks to John, I picked up some of these C15W's on ebay to use in the University bass-horn cabinet that I built. John kept telling me that he believes it to be one of the best sounding bass-horns that he has heard. I just had to try it, and I think that he may be right.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

John, As you know , that is the cabinet that I built and the same drivers were used. But, I mounted the mid. horn , tweeter and network on top of the cabinet. I didn't want them to interfere with the bass horn mouth opening. You can build a top end like the Klipschorn uses to hold those parts.

I also tried loading the cabinet with LaScala drivers and horns. One thing for sure, this cabinet sounds way better then the the LaScala. For those of you capable of building this cabinet, do it. Then, just load it with your LaScala parts. The K33E and put the mid. and tweeter on top.

This cabinet really sounds sweet when combined with my Altec 288-16K driver and 805B horn for the top end.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man