Upgrade or sit tight?

rplace

Mike/Larry...Gary?Just sort of thinking out loud here, not sure if it is possible or practical...but I'll throw it out.

You 3 all have a good ear and are pretty familiar with Gary's set up (especially Gary [;)]). I'd really like to get some feedback from others about mine. Obviously I am a bit biased. Perhaps we could find a day that would work where you three could come out and give my humble system an evaluation and see if I should continue to torment myself about different gear or give it a rest for a bit.

I always see Internet sites (6moons, etc.) where people make an extra or different arm board for a table. If anybody could point me in the general direction I'd be happy to make something...but what? It would be nice if with just a little effort we could listen to my current set up then switch over to the Origin arm with Mike's Zu or the Origin arm with my cart. Never have done it, but I don't think it would be to difficult to swap arms...my only concern is the precise location of the arm. Don't they need to be an exact distance from the spindle and have a particular line between the spindle and the center of the arm's pivot bearings? This sort of thing is what has stalled my swap to date. I'd like to kept the current table unmolested and find a way to make a reversible change. Any suggestions guys???

I am pretty good with one of my other obsessions a smoker, so if you put in your order for ribs, brisket, pulled pork or even steaks I'll pay you in food for your efforts. Bring some of your reference LPs and we can put my stuff through the wringer. Gary has seen a brief Heritage HT demo, I don't think it would disappoint either.

Rich -- Your plan sounds good and doable. See if Marty/Thebes wants to join in -- I can relay him from here, since your place is a fur piece from Reston.

Yes, the "overhang" distance is supposed to be precise for a given arm, but I'm not enough of a tonearm maven to know how far off it can be. It's better for the tonearm mount to be legit for the tonearm you want to install, since there isn't much you can do if you have an incorrect distance, unless you have an SME sliding mount. I think that's why some people have different mounting boards. Don't I remember something about the OL being a version of a Rega arm, and is the Rega what you have now?

I can bring a gram gauge (Gary has a better one) and cart alignment tool, plus magnifying glasses to help make things more precise. We'll need to have info on how to adjust the vertical azimuth on that arm. See http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm. Do you have a template and alignment tool for the OL?

Dates?

Larry,

Great idea on Marty. I work a lot in Tysons Corner (close to Reston) and on a good day with light traffic (yea right) and no speeding tickets have made trip in 55 minutes. It has also taken me over 2.5 hours. I'd budget 1.25-1.50 hours to be safe.

I have a test record, a few different alignment tools - one from Music Hall table, the Mobile Fidelity Geo Disc, and a couple from the test record. I also have a Shure stylus force gauge. Your magnifying glass sounds like a great plan. I know how to set the azimuth on my Project arm. Will look into the Origin.

Yes, the Origin arm is a modded Rega. It is 240mm which is pretty close to 9 inches. Isn't 9" a pretty standard arm? My MMF has a Project arm, which is a 9 inch arm, if I am not mistaken. Based on Max's comments about hearing a Project/Origin comparison, I would guess it must be a simple swap. I think the unknown on my end is the mounting hole. I am a bit nervous about tearing into my MMF, but how hard can it be? In a perfect world I'd find a MMF-5 being parted out and mod that top plinth (it is split into two parts) and keep my original one stock.

Are there any table/arm modders out there reading this? If so any info you have on swapping things and mods would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: sorry forgot about dates. I am pretty busy with stuff through the weekend of May 3rd. After that I am not sure, should be clear. What works for you guys?

I'm in! May 4th is the only day I have plans (niece's 1st Communion).

Larry can probably figure out any setup and Mike has lots of recent experience with his TD 124. I'll bring my digital gauge and lots of good LPs. I'm not good for much else except my ears.

BTW guys - You'll love Rich's setup!!

Wow, looks like we are narrowing down the days quickly. I have to check with the scheduling department (wife) but either day 17/18 should be good, unless there is something on the horizon I don't know about. I typically don't know what is going on in my life till a few day before.[;)] I have no care about a Saturday or a Sunday. So what ever you guys want. Any opinions on eats? Any special needs out there from you "old guys".[:P] I think I can get away with that - am I the youngest at 42?

I shot off a message to Marty, but it got returned. Either my ISP is blocked by comcast of my address for Marty is old. Can somebody send him a message with the URL to this thread, just to be safe?

FYI, for you cornwall lovers I will LET you listen to my Forte IIs if you ask real nice.

EDIT: BTW May 24,25,26 is Memorial Day weekend. Not sure if that matters to you guys, but I might have house guests...so 17/18 looking good.

Does this help anyone help me with ideas on how to fabricate an arm board? Below is some technical data I found on my Pro-ject arm:

Pro-ject9Arm.JPG

Here is the info I found on the Origin arm.

• Effective length: 240 mm
  • Effective Mass 14 grams
  • Overhang: 17.24 mm
  • Offset angle: 23 degrees
  • Mounting distance (platter to armhole centers): 223 mm
  • Mounting hole diameter: 24 - 25 mm
  • Maximum armboard thickness: 27 mm
  • Length of external cable: 1.2 meters
  • Cable capacitance: 0.002 uF
  • Cable resistance: 0.002 ohms
  • Total weight: 448 grams