Image concern

baglunch

The problem on mine has not gotten any worse, and hasn't affected usability or audio quality at all.

I think the problem is seen often enough, and each instance is similar enough to each other, to allow the possbility that it's not user error, but more likely a batch or design defect. It does not affect how much I like them, but it will DRAMATICALLY effect their resale value if I ever decide to do so, which sucks.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

my first pair developed a problem with a loose connection in the curved strain relief near the jack, and hey presto, i've got the same 'splitting' problem in the replacement pair. i've just gone and bought some adhesive rubber tape this time and wrapped them to reinforce it - it looks rubbish but nobody can see it cos they're inserted deep enough that all you can see is the cord.

i love them but i do think this is a genuine flaw and as noted above, it does affect their resale value (which is an issue for most who experiment with various earphones when trying to find the right one for them).

great product - i reckon you just need to work on your product's reliability overall.

I have purchased two pair of image 10s. My son got one set. My set has the slight slits that have been discussed previously. I have slits on the upper side and the bottom side of each wire. The top slits appear to follow a seam from the molding process. The seam is on the top and the bottom of each earphone. They still sound great. I will wait to see if it travels anymore before contacting customer service.

• 3 weeks later...

I also found the same splitting on my image. oh yeah btw, i don't know whether this is the reason. But starting today, I have been hearing distortions in the right part of the earphone. Does anyone here now how to repair this??? and i'm quite afraid that I don't have warranty since i but this earphone as a second owner....

But starting today, I have been hearing distortions in the right part of the earphone. Does anyone here now how to repair this???

Make sure the nozzles are clean. I've gotten dried flakes of lotion in the nozzle of my Custom 2s and it adds a nasty raspiness to the sound. Take that little cleaning tool and get to work. I would recommend doing that on a regular basis as small flakes or bits can be hard to clean and even see in the gels but can be a real pain in the rear to get out of the nozzle of the earphone itself.

If a thorough cleaning of the gel and nozzle doesn't work you might try sucking on it as you would a straw.

I know from experience that a small amount of dried lotion and I suspect ear wax can really wreck the sound. I try to clean my Custom 2 everytime before I put them away including cleanin the gels with an alcohol prep swab.

Good luck. There are more posts on cleaning but most are older so you'll have to set your options for Headphones to display all as by default only the latest 2 months of posts are shown.

just a short note to say i've now sent back my second pair of images to the retailer because of faults that developed - first time it was the jack, and second time it was the left bud - sound became intermittent and cut out altogether for long spells.

on both occasions i got the splitting on the strain relief on both buds, which gradually deteriorated.

it's an awesome product but from my perspective i have serious issues with their reliability and durability.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had problems with my second pair now too so I am asking for a refund from the Klipsch representative I bought it from in the UK. I really have to agree with the previous post it's sound quality is exceptional but the build quality just hasn't been good enough, which for me is serious as my Shure SE210 which I purchased for £50 has much better cabling and even my £10 sony ones have been fine although the cable is the same thickness. I am now trying to get a refund after having them for just over a year and having my second one fail. I will report back when I get a reply.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, all's well that ends well... albeit expensively well.

I've not had a set of custom moulds made for the X10s from here: http://www.audiorelief.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=39

It kind of defeats one of the main purposes of the Images, namely how magnificent the isolation/attenuation is with the sleeves that come with them, and the fact they get inserted so deeply and comfortably in your ear canal... but I'm now on my 3rd set having returned two with cable issues, and with each of the first two sets the strain relief on the buds was in the process of disintegrating because they were being bent back 'against the grain' cos of the shape of my ear.

So it was expensive - another £90 on top of it... and I have to up the volume a notch to get the same effect... but I get complete isolation and the wonderful sound of the X10s now, and if I ever need to get another pair I'll just slot them into the customs and they'll last longer.

I'm hoping this will extend the life span of the earphones because honestly I'm 100% in love with the sound.

customs_2.jpg?t=1232095111

customs_1.jpg?t=1232095092