La Scala - repairing paint chips

Scott McGillivray

Greetings gang!

I own a pair of black La Scala's that I use as my mains in my Home Theater. After recently moving, I noticed that my "professional" movers managed to get a couple of small chips in the black paint finish.

My question is: What brand/type of paint should I get to fix these small-yet annoying blemishes and how should I apply it?

Thanks!!!

Scott:

I also have a pair of black (industrial) LaScalas which had been on the road for quite a while before I bought them. They had more than their share of "battle scars" after years of use and abuse. I checked into repairing the chips and dings using Bondo (auto body filler) but then decided that my main concern was to get the internal components in the best shape possible. Since the enclosures themselves were structurally sound, I felt that the battle scars would add "character" to the speakers. My refinish efforts consisted of three coats of glossy black enamel paint. The speakers sit proudly in my living room, patiently waiting for the chance to shake the house to its foundations.

Dave

I have a pair of 1976 Black Lacquer LaScala's I bought for $800. They had a few chips in the lacquer when I bought them, I just bought a can of Krylon Black Lacquer for $4 a can, sprayed them lightly, wet-sanded them between coats,and when dry the repair was virtually unnoticeable.

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1976 LaScala's Front L&R

KV-1 Center

KG 1.5 Rear L&R

KSW-12 Sub

I haave the ugliest LaScalas in the world. They had chunks of wood knocked out of them at the corners. I used wood filler for this. It's liked bondo,only it's made for wood. Since our decor is southwestern I bought this "stone finish" paint. The color is Mauve. Everyone asks Why are they pink? My Heresys match. One of these days I'll take them to a profesional for refinishing but I can't do without them.

Actually, I really envy you guys that find old La Scala's so darn cheap! I bought mine brand-spankin' new and they cost me a ton! I don't regret it though. I really do think that they are an amazing speaker and out perform speakers that cost much more. I hope that someday I will find another beat up old pair for cheap that I can use for my surrounds or maybe use one as a center and one as my rear-center.

This message has been edited by Scott McGillivray on 01-20-2002 at 01:34 PM