Help on ripping DVD

Coytee

I've got two DVD's that I can think of...David Gilmour / Meltdown and Badcompany / Merchants of cool that when I rip them have issues.

My guess is they've made the disks so they can't be ripped.

When I rip Gilmours, I get what I'll call, 90% pink noise with 10% music behind it. Although you can hear the music it's clearly being overwhelmed by the static or pink noise that is being overlayed on top.

I've ripped a dozen DVD's so I know things are working right and I'm doing them properly.. Also, this DVD has some extra tracks that are not a part of the concert proper. These tracks rip fine, it's only the body of the concert that seems affected.

Anyone know of this and know if there is a way around it? I'm heading out on my trip in about 3 1/2 weeks and would love to add this to my Ipod for my travels.

?

PIRATE ............... How are they going to feed their families when people PIRATE their work ? Have you no shame ? .............. I don't think they can be copied, new protection system works pretty good ............... unless someone has a program that will work, I don't !!!!!!!!

How are they going to feed their families

David Gilmour has a standing invitation to come by my house and I'll feed him and his family. I might however, request a comparison so I can see if it really is better live or on Memorex...

Since you are wanting this for your iPod, why don't you just play it back from one system and make a wmv or mov file that you can put on the iPod. You sure don't need the surround.

Bruce

Bruce...you have graciously forgotten what a dummy I am.

I can play it in my Media Player, but how do/can I record the 2-ch at the same time? (or can I?)

I've been ripping it from the DVD using some kind of DVD audio ripper program (ImToo software company I think)

If you're suggesting there's another way I can achieve the same goal, I'd love to hear it.

I will say that I think I've conqured the Bad company cd finally. I'm having to rip it with one program, then convert it with another and then I'll see if the upload to Ipod works but up until now, I've not even been able to get this one to rip in the first program and now I'm beyond that.

That means my only issue is with the Meltdown dvd.

This is going to sound stupid but...

Yes in fact, I did find/download and try DVD Decrypter. I don't remember all the details of it BUT I do know that on this specific DVD, I still have the same problem.

I'm not sure what all I tried with the Decrypter software. I'll look into that again later tonight.

I DID email "Magic DVD Software" about their product and they've emailed me back telling me to try steps 1,2,3 with their stuff and if that didn't work, to rip about 20 seconds and SEND them that file so they could look at it. I thought that was pretty cool.

I'd really love to get this specific dvd ripped. I've even looked to see if I could find a CD version of it so I could just buy the CD (it's not about spending money on them, it's about having it with me on my trip)

I couldn't find a CD of the "Meltdown" concert (if anyone knows of it, please lemme know?)

I then went to the Itunes store to find the songs and was prepared to simply BUY them...but they were not to be found on Itunes either. I'm not done with this issue yet (I can be stubborn to a fault) but it is beginning to look like I won't have these tracks of music with me on my trip.

Is MELTDOWN the right title ??????

Name on the front of cover is :David Gilmour in Concert (with picture of him singing & holding an acoustic guitar)

On the back it says "Meltdown Concert, Royal Festival Hall Concert 2002"

Interestingly enough, it was directed by "David Mallet" [:^)]

And Maron... I gave them my forwarding phone number as yours...what was it again? [;)] Aside from that...I'd HAPPILY buy the CD or Itunes if I could get them there... it's not about not buying again (although I already have once and this is for personal use). I just want to add it to the Ipod so I can have it on my trip.

It's a very good DVD and I'd recommend it to anyone. I've already stated that here sooooooo, go get it!!!

Are you trying to convert this for your iPod? If so try Videora iPod Convertor, its works pretty well.

Yes to Ipod.

Interstingly enough, I've found http://www.magicdvdripper.com/test/MagicDVDRipper53b.exe and I did a sample. The SAMPLE seems to work FINE [Y]

I'm in process now of ripping it in whole (seems it only does one big file & not break them out)

I'll know in 30 minutes if this works. Aside from that, I'd again recommend this dvd to anyone

Oh my oh my.......

I screwed up and hit a homer!!!

Not only did this software rip the music...it also ripped the video to my Ipod!! There is STILL clearly noticable static in the recording (MP4 I think). I'm going to redo it in MP3 and see how that sounds.

Now that I can get video... I might have to choose several DVD's and copy them as videos until disk is full.... gotta keep the non-hissy audio only though, this hiss gets real old real fast.

It WILL be better than nothing though.

Have you had any luck with ripping Dave??

Yes indeed. I've used and now bought "magic dvd ripper" (their email to me is below). I have more that I want to rip so I bought it today. I'd been happy to send that same money to Gilmour (or whoever gets it) and bought a CD to make it work... I digress...

anyway, I DO have it ripped but it DOES still have some hiss in it. It's like they are trying to sabotage it (which is their choice of course). The help desk at magic dvd ripper, asked me to send them a 10 second clip and I've done that along with the original rip I did (not using their software) that had the hideous 'pink noise' overlay on it.

In fact, that 10meg email is uploading now on my FAST 56K ISDN connection here at home [:@]

Evidently, if you rip it in "iPod" which I think is MP4 format (default ??) it will rip it as a video movie. You have to change it to MP3 if you want the audio only. Also, change the 6 channel to 2 channel (at least in my case).

Also, and I don't like this... it rips the entire thing as a SINGLE file.... I"ve yet to figure out how to rip as individual songs so you can forward/reverse through them. If you want to put a dvd on and hear the 14th song out of 25... you're going to have to listen to 13 others first (as best I can tell)

Below is their email to me.

Thank you for your detailed description. It seems that you got some sound that doesn't belong to the movie and it's actually noise, right? If so, please download the new beta version from http://www.magicdvdripper.com/test/MagicDVDRipper53b.exe and install it. Then rip your DVD again. If the problem persists, please help me do the following things:
1. Play the original DVD on your computer and let me know if it can be played well without such "static" noise.
2. Insert your DVD to your DVD drive to rip it again and stop our program after 20 seconds. Then please attach the ripped file to us.
3. Convert your DVD to another format such as VCD and let me know if the sound it ok
4. Send us all the .ifo files of the original DVD. You may click the "File" menu on the main form of Magic DVD Ripper, then click "Export IFO files" to export them and then attach the output file to us.
Thank you for your patience and time.
BTW, our program supports DVD to MP3 conversion. You may click menu "Options"->"Profile Editor..." and check "MP3" from the profile list. Then click "Modify" and check "This is my favorite profiel" option. Then click "OK"->"Quit". Then you may select "MP3" from the "Profile" dropdown menu on the output area of "Convert" tab to rip. Please visit http://www.magicdvdripper.com/dvd-ripper.htm to learn more about Magic DVD Ripper.

Also, and I don't like this... it rips the entire thing as a SINGLE file.... I"ve yet to figure out how to rip as individual songs so you can forward/reverse through them. If you want to put a dvd on and hear the 14th song out of 25... you're going to have to listen to 13 others first (as best I can tell)

Well i think i fiqured this one out... In the Output section set Split mode to 'By Chapter' this split the indivdual tracks when i ripped to mp3.

it ripped to mp3 ok but i got scratching noise on final output of all tracks (a pulse of about 8 scratches every 10 seconds or so) let me know if you get this, it could be a problem with my disk or drive??

Keep me posted on any advances