Restoring real black ash veneer.

pmsummer

The Yamaha NS1000Ms I got yesterday are in great shape overall, 15 of 16 corners perfect (1 rear a tiny bit compressed), very few nicks or scrapes or gouges, but a few. On the speaker tops, the black stain is very thin from wear.

What's a good product to restore the black to these without doing a complete refinish? Normally, I would use a Howard's Restor-a-Finish wipe-on product for these conditions, but they don't have black.

The pic makes it look worse than it is, but you get the idea. Any thoughts, thou Klipsch founts of wisdom?

Posted Image

PS. They've dueling with my Cornwalls since yesterday afternoon. They are VERY impressive speakers. They are losing the duel, however

Possibility.... Very light sanding with an orbital and 400 grit, wiping off with a slightly damp rag every few minutes until the scratches appear to be gone. Final wipe with mineral spirits, let dry for 2-4 hours. Minwax ebony stain, light wipe. let set for 30 minutes, wipe offf with dry rag and it just might do it. Try it on the bottoms first though. Hope that helps.

Wow, NS1000Ms! How are you liking the sound of them? One of the editors of the UK magazine Hi-Fi World has a pair and they're discussed occasionally in that magazine.

With the tweeter and midrange dialed back 1.5 dB, their sound is very similar to my Cornwalls. They aren't as rich sounding, but they are perhaps more detailed. Both are very fine speakers.

I prefer the Cornwalls, but in cramped quarters, the NS1000Ms would be a more than adequate substitution.

Posted Image