Heresy-I Upgrade

Finally got a "round to it". Pair of 1983 Oak Laquer H-I's (the spaaaz speakers)...

Used the following components; K-28 (H-III type); Selenium D250X midrange on the K-700 horn, BEC CT-125 tweeter; BEC Type E-4500 crossover. All new marine grade 14 gauge wiring, cabinet sealeds, etc.

The E-4500 crossover was done by Bob with the obligatory 10w inline resistor needed for the D-250X midrange (screws right on, just used a new gasket).

Results: Stunning improvement over the 28 year old worn out parts, good as they may have been.

The K-28 delivers a much tighter and more "crisp" bass. No "boom", but it's deep and is much better than the K-24's.

The D250X is a very clear and bright midrange. With the 10w resistor, the crossover brings it down to proper SPL and it does not overpower the combination. The 4500 crossover takes advantage of the D250X's sharp roll off as the freqs extend out.

The E4500 works perfectly by taking advantage of the BEC CT-125's extended range. The effect is almost an "extreme slope" sound.

Much better isolation of the instruments, easier to pick out what someone is doing. Testing it with Allison Krauss and Robert Plant's - Raising Sand.

A/B with the bone stock Forte's..... Now I know I need crossovers and new diaphragms!!! LOL (lemme' see, what's Bob's number??)

A/B with the Klipschorns? K's win hands down, but at low volumes, the Heresy "X-Treme" does just fine.

I had fooled around with the E4500, D250's and CT-125's in Heresy's before; good results, but what was clearly missing was the K-28 woofer. With that woofer, the whole thing just "comes together". Balanced, tight, and very clear.

Cost? About $350 total for all parts, new wire, new terminals, etc.

Next project is to clean up the cabinets!! These are "keepers" for sure...[H]

The E-4500 crossover was done by Bob with the obligatory 10w inline resistor needed for the D-250X midrange.

You mentioned this before. What value is the 10W resistor? 4, 8, 100 ohm?

Bruce

Marhall,

Pimpin' up those Oak Heresies already? Cool. Don't forget to show us the refinished speakers when you're done. I've heard these and they sounded pretty good to me before being upgraded but I'm not a real critical listener... Then I heard these in Marshall's Wall of Voodoo with K'horns and Fortes. Quite impressive.

The K28 is about 3 db above the K22 woofer below 200 Hz. The curves are nearly parallel and very smooth all the way down. Typical LF rolloff around 6-10 db/octave.

Marshall's rebuild project of a Heresy is very unique, but there is an easier route for you guys who own the H II with rectangular input cups. The 1006972 upgrade kit contains K28 woofer, K52TI mid driver, K103TI tweeter and network. Everything but the box and the horn basically. Call me at Tech for more info.

Michael

Pimped up speakers are always best pimped up inside out as the guts are usually more important than the cabinet cosmetics. A nice refresh on the oak should be more than enough. I'm not so sure about the "red, white & blue striped metallic "hammered look" lacquer with glitter" look sounds too over the top for my tastes. Oak is wood. Wood is good.