H-III Upgrade Kit

hodgesj

I contacted colterphoto1 about my experience with the H-III upgrade kit and my impression of the Heresy's after the upgrade. He asked me to post my experience on the forum. Here goes...

The H-III kit is GREAT! The H-II's came alive with the upgrade. The upper end is much more defined and clearer. The bass is also improved. Well worth the cost and effort. I am using the H-III's with four Cornwall 1.5 (1984 vintage) and an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub. One H-III is used as the center channel and the other is used as the center back surround. Soon I hope to get another H-II cabinet from groomlakearea51 so I can complete a full 7.1 system. One H-III will be the center and the other two will be the back surrounds. To my ears the H-III sounds very good with the Cornwalls. The H-II was a good center channel but the H-III kits makes it sound even better. The H-III is more efficient and I can tell it.

The upgarde was fairly easy. The instuctions need to be updated as they state that you have to remove the midrange driver from the existing horn and mount the new driver. This is not the case as the H-III kit has the entire midrange/horn assembly. The kit also includes all new mounting screws. All you need to supply is the H-II cabinet and a roll of foam weatherstrip to seal around the cross-over/connection cup. The new cup is surface mounted and it is recommended that some weatherstripping be used to fully seal the cup to the cabinet. I only ran into two small problems that were easily overcame. First, the magnet on the new tweeter is HUGE compared to the H-II. I had to use a Dremel and a small barrell sanding wheel to grind away some of the opening to allow the magnet to fit through the special cut out. It didn't take much but it would not go without some work. Second, the wires for the tweeter are too short to be fed behind the foam sheet that is wrapped around the woofer and still reach from the cross-over to the tweeter. To work around this I cut a small slit in the foam sheet about half way between the front and back and fed the tweeter wires through the slit. The wires reached the tweeter fine after that. I took my time to do it right and I would guess the first kit took me about 1.25 - 1.5 hours and the second one about 45 minutes - 1 hr.

As for the cost, I think the $272 per kit is very reasonable and well woth it. To offset the cost I was able to immediately sell my old drivers to a guy that was wanting to build some cabinets and have a "good set of drivers and cross-overs". Basically I upgraded two H-II's to H-III's for less than $300...not bad!

1) 1006894 K-107-TI Tweeter / horn assembly

1) 157032 K-75 Tweeter horn gasket

1) 128035 K-52-TI Midrange driver

1) 157029 701 Midrange horn gasket

4) 064801 Midrange driver to horn screws 10-32 x .670”

1) 116665 Network Assembly: Crossover network with wire

6) 062621 Network to cabinet screws #8 x 1”

1) 121225 K-28-E woofer

1) 015013 3/8”W x 1/8”T Gasket Tape

Upgrade kit PDF attached.

H III Update Kit OM Final 061024.pdf

Thanks for the feedback and review of the Heresy upgrade. Yes you get everything but the cabinet and mid horn.

We're making revisions to the instruction set due to this type of reporting.

Guys- I've run the I, II, and III side by side- the difference in the III is stunning in low end, upper registers, and in clarity.

M

Thanks for the feedback and review of the Heresy upgrade. Yes you get everything but the cabinet and mid horn.

We're making revisions to the instruction set due to this type of reporting.

Guys- I've run the I, II, and III side by side- the difference in the III is stunning in low end, upper registers, and in clarity.

M

I've also heard the 1,2, and 3 side by side. The HIII is a killer speaker and an improvement in detail and "Smooth". IMHO, the best choice with SS on the Heresy. Now I've just got to hear them on tubes!

Harry

wouldn't this kit work on a Heresy too? I have a set of 1978 Heresy speakers that I would like to upgrade

beside cutting out the back board for the cup, the install should be easy. the speakers all mount from the inside

please review and let me know what upgrade options I can take beside an updated crossover network

Mark

I think that it doesn't work because of how the horns are screwed on from the inside where as the II's are from the front which is what the III's require. I'm not 100% sure though.

• 1 year later...

Hello from France to all klipsch lovers.

I'm an happy French Klipsch owner newly registred on this forum and i need help: I would like to upgrade my Heresy II pair to a III version.

I have contacted klipsch (by email) and my local distributor in France to get a pair of upgrade kit 1006972 but... no answers...

Is this upgrade still avaible from klipsch ? How to get ?