Questions regarding upgrading to a 7.1 RF-83 system

Vonbek777

Hi, I have started my slow road to upgrading my home theater this week. Just picked up a new RC-64 on ebay. Planning on getting the front RF-83s by the end of the month, and a pair of RS-62s and RB-81s a little bit down the road. Still trying to decide on my sub. I really like the looks of the RT-12D but have heard you can get better for the money, so not sure on that front yet. Anyway, I currently have an RF-35 5.1 system (4 RF-35s, one RC-35, and an RW-12), how noticiable will the difference in quality be with the 83s? Specifically, will there be a big difference in the quality of stereo music using the 83s vs. the 35s? Another question is will the RB-81s as rears blend with the 83s? I am just looking for a little reassurance before I jump overboard. I have really enjoyed my 35s but I know I am missing some range with them. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Moderators

How large is your room? What receiver or pre/pro and amp will you be using?

I absolutely love my 83's. I went from a pair of Polk RT-800's to a pair of Klipsch CF-2's and then to the RF-83's. The RF-83's when paired with a good receiver will produce an amazingly smoothe wall of sound. Since the 83's are much higher than any speaker I have ever owned, the sound was much taller (if that makes sense). The horn is slightly higher than ear level so the sound just flows right towards you with an amazing richness to them. The RC-64 is one bad speaker. Dialog has an amazing clarity, and dynamic that I have not heard before in a center channel. I have listened to the RT-10d in a small room and it had an amazing amount of bass that was tight, accurate and a lot of depth. One of the major benefits of the RT subs is that they are small in size. Can you get just as good of quality for less...I believe so. Many here have recommended www.svsound.com and HSU subs. I have owned a few Velodynes and I love them. I cannot speak for the differences you might hear in the RF-83's compared to the RF-35's. You will likely receive a much fuller bottom end with the RF-83's as they have a wider frequency response in the lower register. I can tell you that I borrowed a Crown 265 watt/ch amp and hooked it up to my 83's and oh my....I cranked it and it was if they were screaming..."Is that all you got? Gimme more!". They can handle lots of power and still remain clean and crisp.

My room is 26 by 22 feet. My sweet spot chair will be about 12 feet from the 83s. I am waiting for a few more reviews of the new Pioneer Elite SC-09, but that is what I am planning on getting. I like the fact that the 83s are tall. I thought the wall of sound would be better on that front. I don't go crazy with bass, so I think the rt-12 will be fine. I really like how it looks, as long as it is a worthy sub for my setup which I believe it will be. I can't wait for the rc-64 to get here. I got a really good deal. Thanks for the input.

• Moderators

You have a nice size room. The RF-83's will have no problem filling the room. We are almost ready to begin building our home. It will have a Dedicated HT that is slightly smaller than your room (15' x 25'). I can't wait to hear how the RF-83's open up when placed in a larger room that is dedicated for music and home theater. Others will have to comment on using the RT-12d in a room your size. It will likely be fine, it just helps to hear from others who have heard it first hand. Be sure to let us know what you think of the RC-64 as well as posting some pics of your setup. $7k for the Pioneer Elite SC-09 is pretty steep. Here is a 16 page discussion on it in the AVS Forums. I didn't read all of it but it might be worth your time if you have not done so already.

Have you been to a dealership that has the 83's for audition? If I were you, before I spent all that money on them, I would audition them alongside of some Heritage line. I originally had a similar setup as yours (RF-35'sx2, RS-62s, RC-62) and wanted an upgrade. I went to a local dealership and auditioned the RF-83s and 63s. I was impressed!

However, the dealer also had LaScala's, Cornwalls, Heresy's and Klipschorns.

Upon auditioning the Heritage line I was floored. There was no compairision for me. I thought the entire heritage line sounded better than the RF-83's (just my opinion and I will probably get flamed for it) but the sound just seemed more dynamic and full.

I ended up selling my RF-35 setup for more than I paid for it and got a pair of LaScala's and Forte-II's AND I didn't spend a dime out of pocket. I guess what I'm saying is if you haven't already auditioned the Heritage product line AND if you have the room (which you do), you may want to go Heritage. Just my 2cents.

On the other hand, you can't go wrong with the 83's, they are fine speakers

Those are comments that could get you flamed, thats for sure. =) However - I will say that owning 83's and Heresy IIs, you can't go wrong with either line. I would strongly encourage you to look into the heritage lineup if you had not just purchased you rc-64. I think someone recently posted that they are running a rc-64 with cornwalls and are loving it, but my opinion is that staying in the same line will give you a seamless sound (matching timbre and all that...).

Here's my 2 cents on this one.

I have the RF 3, RF 83 and heresy II

I believe that the RF 35 was the replacement speaker for the RF 3 and I will assume that they are similar speakers.

The RF 3 is a very good speaker,the biggest improvement with the RF 83 over the RF 3 is the bass. I always feelt the need for a sub with the RF3 while the RF 83 never really needed one. That said the RF83 is definitely a better a speaker but they need a good size room to come alive. Unlike the RF7, the RF 83 does not need huge clean power to reach it's potential, don't give wrong more power you get them better they will sound but they are easily driven by a middle of road amp. I mainly use mine for home theater use.

While the reference series is doing a good job for music listening, the heresy's are outstanding when is comes to music. I will have to say hands down to the heritage line.

If you are mostly using the system for movie watching I would be to go with the Reference line but if you leaning more toward music go with the heritage line set up. As suggested before you could keep the RC 64 for movie set up

Either way you can make a wrong choice by chosing one or the other line

Edit I meant to say you can't make a wrong choice [8-)]

Thanks for all the input. Just got my rc-64 hooked up (temporary for testing, doesn't fit in my current furniture, waiting on the new stand). Tested some multi-channel music and my three year old is currently watching toy story 2 wondering why there is a huge box sitting on a piano bench in front of the television. Hands down the rc-64 completly changes the sound dynamic. I thought the rc-35 was good but I sometimes thought dialog was a little soft compared to the fronts even after calibration. No problem with that with the 64. Definite bass extension and the extra sound stage from the size is providing clarity to a lot of little sound effects my family and I hadn't noticed before. This is a fantastic speaker! Really brings the 'theater' to home theater! The opening scene in Toy Story 2 was definitely a different experience with the 64. I love music but I think I am going to have to go with the 83s. While I have a big room, it is a family room and I don't have a lot of dedicated wall space. I also have a piano in the room and a fireplace which I wish I didn't have (makes the back speakers hard to place. Anyway, the 64 isn't even level matched with the other 35s right now, and it still sounds wonderful. Can't wait to hear the entire setup calibrated. I listen to a lot of stereo music though, I might be able to get a set of heresys for dedicated listen later if I can find the space!

• Moderators

I'm excited for you and jealous for me. LOL. We are still putting money aside for the house so I have to be patient until I can set money aside for HT. I can't wait to get the RC-64. I think it will absolutely blow my previous KV-3 center channel apart. Patience is definitely a virtue....I'm working on it.