Gary, your not alone in your identity theft. This is what I learned yesturday. GRRRRRRRR.

j-malotky

Since Gary shared his story, I got some shocking information yesturday......

I get home from work and I got a letter asking me if I want to renew my Internet domain name. Hmmm, I never bought this one, what is this??? I imediately go online to see what this site is. OMG. It is a fraudulant internet banking scam. I do a whois on the domain and sure enough I am the registerend owner of the Internet domain name. There is my name, address, phone number.....WTF !!!! This is NOT GOOD with the professional credentials I need to maintain.

So today, I have been contacting the Internet registriar in Melboune Austrialia finding our how to get my name off of this. At least they have a procedure to report scams which is something I guess. I am doing my due dilligance informing all of my professional organizations and my companies ethics and compliance department that this SCAM is not really mine and I am doing all I can to get rid of this crap.

This sucks.[:@]

JM

Guest srobak

This has been a common practice for a number of years. I have made contact with dozens of folks over the last 10 years asking them why they insist on spamming my servers. They were at a total loss, so I get them in front of a computer and tell them how to get the whois info. Most are quite shocked... one was a 70 year old man who has practically never touched a computer.

Ever since ICANN has taken over the registration process and now lets every mom & pop registrar manage domains, it has turned into a nightmare. No one cares about the hierarchy anymore, and no one bothers to enforce it...

Take goarmy.com as an example... it is an illegal domain (since when is the US Army a for-profit/commercial entity?) All the armed services are supposed to end in .mil

All state and local governments are supposed to end in <state>.gov or <state>.us

Between mis-application of hierarchy, and no longer enforcing whois information to be validated and kept current - none of it makes any sense now, and IPv6 isn't going to do anything to fix it either. Bah.

Maybe everyone should:

http://www.freecreditreport.com/

Geez guys, you're scaring me

Free with a year's subscription to Triple Advantage.......whatever that is. Ain't no free!

You can check your credit report once a year for free with the 3 credit bureaus. I highly recommend folks do that to make sure nothing looks funny! There are a lot of people with bad credit and the only way they can qualify for say......A CELL PHONE.......is to use someone else's identity. Also a lot of illegals looking for identities.

No, not method to the madness or I was not singled out for any real reason, just the sap they picked out of the hat. They bought the domain name with a credit card I had stolen last year. I am just financing the domain name for their scam site.

When I found my credit card was stolen, Someone purchased a thousand dollars worth of IPODs from a web site and registered a $400 charge to a middle eastern resume service. Im sure this small charge was on there also, I just did not catch it. All the big charges I had reversed.

My problems is I have professional ethics I need to maintain for my job and professional credencials I maintain. Running an internet scam would violate any of my integrity.

Well, there site will be down in a few days [:@]

JM

If any of you travel or stay in hotels, always make sure you take the hotel door keys with you and destroy them. I am refering to those plastic keys with the magnetic strip on the back. When you check in there is a lot of YOUR personal information that is encoded in them. Credit card#, name, address, all the essential information for identity theft. The hotel cannot by law charge you for the key. They normally do not erase YOUR information from them until they reissue to the next guest. NEVER leave them in your room when checking out. I always take mine with me and shred it when I get home. There are too many energetic individuals that prey on this type of thing.