Underpowering?

nezff

I am running the Onkyo TXSR605 rated at 90 watts RMS per channel. I think it can get to 105 watts per channel.

Currently I have:

2 RF62 fronts 125 watts RMS/500 watts peak

1 RC62 Center 150 watts RMS/600 watts peak

2 RS42 Surrounds 75 watts RMS/300 watts peak

1 Rw10d powered sub

Am I underpowering the fronts and center? I was actually thinking of moving to the ONKYO 805 with 130 watts of power RMS. thanks

• Moderators

Keep in mind, to get a 3db increase in sound, you need to double your power. You will experience some increase in power going from 90 - 130 watts. The 805 is $700 at Vanns. I was going to recommend an external amp if you were only interested in increasing power but I just noticed your current receiver does not have preouts for an external amp. Whatever receiver you upgrade to, I would definitely recommend one with pre outs.

How does it sound to you? If music/movies sound lively, robust, etc... then you're fine. The power ratings on speakers really have no correlation to how powerful your amplifier should be. Most of the time you're only using a handful of watts anyway (remember the sensitivity ratings?). The extra power is needed to handle transients which need more power for that extra ooomph.

I'm sure someone could show you the table, on speaker effenicy and power needed.

Unless you feel your music is missing something, adding power my not be the answer.

However all amps sound a bit different, moving to seperates even at the same rated power may give you what you seek..