For those who own Lascalas,, How far apart do you have them?

I am just a jr member but here is 2 Cents.

10' wall to wall, room 10' X 16' X 8' I sit about 8' from the speakers Imaging is great sound is good. Image is so good today I thought my academy center channel was some how being powered, I had to get up and put my ear to the speaker to belive it was not powered.

This is a temporary installation. In 1 - 2 years they will go to a 14' X 20' room.

Heavy vocal tracks sound best, Dave Matthews, Indigo Girls, N. Jones, Tori Amos. I also like Classical and rock. I like it loud and modified ALK x-overs seem to work very, very, well. Horns reproduce vocal & string insruments very well compared to my Forte IIs and the 1 pair of Cornwalls I have heard.

I like to feel the bass I have really liked the khorns I have heard but I am falling for the tight bass in my scalas supplemented with a sub especially when listening to 2 channel. Tight bass down to 60 or so and subs that go lower than the K-horns. They do not move air like the K-horns but sound very musical, precise and distortion free.

I also have a Velodyne SPL-1500 R sub. Plan is to add 2 Velodyne SPL-1200Rs for 2 channel and keep the 1500 for a LFE during Surround sound. I had Forte IIs for 16 years that went low but the Scala bass is much tighter and only needs help from the sub less than 60 hertz. I have the sub xover set at 55hz which seams to be the best blend. I do not have a meter but through trials I have come up with 55. The cross over meter has been said to be within 3 hz.

I had Forte IIs for 16 years that went low but the Scala bass is much tighter and only needs help from the sub less than 60 hertz. I have the sub xover set at 55hz which seams to be the best blend. I do not have a meter but through trials I have come up with 55. The cross over meter has been said to be within 3 hz.

The La Scala low end starts to roll off as high as 100Hz and really drops off around 50Hz. Have you tried setting the sub's hi-cut somewhat higher? Some folks set it at over 100Hz. With my setup, 150Hz gives a natural-sounding bass response with the sub volume level set fairly low.

I will give it try I stopped around 80hz the bass started to get stronger and boomy. I think I will move the sub to the front wall and try again.

Maybe I need a sound pressure meter and test signal to be more precise?

Are your scalas in a corner?

If you look at the Arrange-a-Room diagram above, you'll see that I had only one corner available, near the left speaker, so I kept that speaker away from it, to avoid it sounding different from the right speaker, which is along the wall.

I used an RS sound level meter and test CD to help find the speaker positions that gave the smoothest bass response and aimed them directly at the listening position for the best treble response. They need to be relatively near a wall, but don't have to be in a corner.

Finding the best position for the sub can take a while. I tried four different spots before I settled on the present location.

My room is 14'wide and the La's (rear surround) are up against the walls pointed toward the chair in the center of the room (the only furniture in there). They need to be moved behind the chair, but there is a door in the way.