For those who own Lascalas,, How far apart do you have them?

For those who own Lascalas, how far apart do you have them (toed in?), how far from walls , and room dimensions,including height. Also what do you use for your source, amplifiers and cables. Room treatments? and what type of music do you most often listen to with them .. Last but not least:) name two of your favourite tracks or albums(cd's) that sounds best with them.

thanks

Mike

14 ft apart

Toed in and tipped up so the mid horn axis is line of sight when I'm seated

four inches from side and back walls (as far into the corners as tipping them allows)

Room is about 16W x 20D (open spaces behind that), 9H

See signature for equipment (phono source only, single ended triode tubes)

Carpet on pad on concrete slab

Classical, jazz, old rock 68-78, lots of King Crimson, EPL, YES, Gentle Giant, Moody Blues, Led Zep (I-IV only), about 250 albums

Saint Saens Concerto in A Minor for cello and orch., Symphony Orch. of the All Union Radio (Russian), Mstislav Rostropovich, cello - this sounds amazing if you like classical music, the cello player is extraordinary and the recording is excellent

38 Special - Wild Eyed Southern Boys, first side, also ZZ Top's Tres Hombres; both excellent examples of rock that sounds great.

You forgot to ask about the use of subwoofers... not me.

Thanks Pauln

I am still experimenting with my newly purchased Lascalas (1980's), liking them so far, just ordered a tube amp:) First ever tube amp for me:)

Just looking to see what others have tried with their set up. Never thought about tipping them, will have to try that, or having them so close to the walls.. Once i get my tube amp and install my AA crossovers (replacing AL's) I hope to have all kinds of new ideas and music to try them out with. Once i get things all set up I'll take some pics. post them on here.

thanks for the great list of music, definately check some of that out:)

If you got pics of your system like to take a look:)

Thanks

Mike

For those who own Lascalas, how far apart do you have them (toed in?), how far from walls , and room dimensions,including height. Also what do you use for your source, amplifiers and cables. Room treatments? and what type of music do you most often listen to with them .. Last but not least:) name two of your favourite tracks or albums(cd's) that sounds best with them.

thanks

Mike

Mine are 10'6" apart center to center. Toed in slightly and 4" from rear wall. The room is 22'x24'x8' and listening position is 9'6" from the front of the speakers. One is in a corner 2" from side wall. The other is about 10' from the side wall. They sound really good with everything. AC/DC- 74 Jailbreak is insane. Jethro Tull- Living in the Past LP really nice. New Frank Sinatra awesome. Gordon Lightfoot- Gord's Gold LP great. Old metal- Judas Priest (Rocka Rolla, Stained Class) Black Sabbath (Paranoid, Master of Reality, Black Sabbath) and Iron Maiden- (Killers, Number of the Beast) very good. Club music and new metal like you're at the concert.

14 ft apart (same here)

Toed in and tipped up so the mid horn axis is line of sight when I'm seated (Toed, but no need to tip up due to Altec 511B's on top)

four inches from side and back walls (as far into the corners as tipping them allows) (same here)

Room is about 16W x 20D (open spaces behind that), 9H (same except 15W x 18D x 10H)

See signature for equipment (phono source only, single ended triode tubes) (same but with VRD's/BBX/TD-124)

Carpet on pad on concrete slab (exactly the same)

Classical, jazz, old rock 68-78, lots of King Crimson, EPL, YES, Gentle Giant, Moody Blues, Led Zep (I-IV only), about 250 albums (same, but a bigger emphasis on the jazz and classical rock - about 800 albums)

Saint Saens Concerto in A Minor for cello and orch., Symphony Orch. of the All Union Radio (Russian), Mstislav Rostropovich, cello - this sounds amazing if you like classical music, the cello player is extraordinary and the recording is excellent (Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow, Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop, Richie Cole And... Return to Alto Acres)

38 Special - Wild Eyed Southern Boys, first side, also ZZ Top's Tres Hombres; both excellent examples of rock that sounds great. (agree with the Tres Hombres)

Mike

This room has 2 JubScalas (they were La Scalas until the conversion 2 months ago and are still in the same location), a Heresy II under the TV for center channel and 2 Heresy IIs for surround at the back of the room. The sub is just to the right of the left JS and the next black thing is the audio rack. The brown things are various tables and cabinets.

The ceiling height is 8 feet and the sweet spot is at the left cushion of the sofa in line with the TV screen. The speakers are 12 feet apart and 13 feet from the listening position.

post-23736-13819374169542_thumb.jpg

My room stinks ... big, but very multi purpose living space. My La Scalas are about 7' apart .... splits so the tops are toed in but the bottoms are not.

300B mono blocks ...Source, two turntables one computer and a DJ mixer..... Music Genres ... you name it ... we got it.

sounds perfect to me !!!!

2 go to tracks .... Paco de Lucia Espiritu from The Guitar Trio and Pancho Sanchez, Typhoon from El Mejor

Posted Image

I have three La Scala's up front on a 17' wall. All Hidden behind a scrim. (cloth) (The room is approx. 30 feet, front to back if you include the cavities.)

The benefit of the red velvet curtains on the side, is they act like a good sound absorber for the sides as well like good treatment would. I played around because I have Split bottoms with going straight out or toed in and for me toed in was better. In Two Channel maybe I am lucky but if the singer is dead center in the mix people SWEAR the middle speaker is on while seated then go up to find they have been tricked. A lot of people talk about this phenominum but I can demo it and people's jaws just drop if the engineer placed the mix where musicians are for you to enjoy! It is a beautiful thing, trust me! Here is a picture.

post-5910-13819374176016_thumb.jpg

here they are "unmasked..."

I have the tops up some with milk cartons (Brings up the mids and highs and helps a LOT) and a sound absorber board under that. I used a lot of Insulation to the back cavity behind the speakers and to the sides.. Basically every inch close the toe La Scala's on the front. This helps the energy to come out into the room for the most part. Some of this was based on books I had read to do in HT, and some on what I had seen in other theaters. It works very nice to tighten things up and send it out into the room. I have two of the THX subs also on the floor. I tried some placement together , in the middle... They seemed to sound better spread out next to the left n right La Scala's.

I later used a laser pointer to position the speakers just slightly left n right of the two middle seats in the HT, and toed in the bottoms. The Middle speaker was tilted up slightly at the exact same height the left n right speakers are, too, to the listeners seated.

Very happy with the results.. I am sure most of you are too.

And I do listen to 2 channel and Movies in my dedicated HT. In 2 channel lower setting just barely on on the subs.. It is awesome!

post-5910-13819374177026_thumb.jpg

Thats the main thing, as long as it sounds good:)

So you must mix a bit? I have five friends who are local DJ's , one of them came by last weekend to try out his latest cd on my system.. He liked it a lot:)

He now wants a pair of Lascalas. I must add he made a great cd too, he is one of the best DJ's around , mixes LP's and Cd's and letely started using PC to PC mixing...

I see your 300B's tucked away under the rack:) I heard good things about those amps.. you must like them.?