Best A/V settings for Stereo and HT

MikeW

I'm a newbie to Klipsch and A/V receivers. I've been playing around with the internal crossovers of my Sony DB840 trying to find that perfect sound for both stereo music and home theatre. I think I have found that perfect sound that matches my taste, however I feel I can get more from my system with a little assistance from the experts.

Does anyone have recomendations for bass/mid/treble settings for all 5 speakers?

Currently I have full Reference 3 package.

MW

Bass, treble and midrange should be bone flat or bypassed altogether. I use the direct mode for this on the Marantz SR-8000. Not sure what Sony offers in that regard, if anything. The key is you don't want any "colour" added (at least I don't). That way you'll be getting the pure sound as intended.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi MikeW,

I'm a newbie with the same receiver and RF IIIs (older center and surrounds i'll probably upgrade soon) and have been wondering the same thing, so looking forward to any answers, including how you've set your system. On the home theater forum there's a lot of discussion about setting the speaker sizes to small and the sub crossover on the receiver to as low as possible, >60hz on the DB840.

This message has been edited by AlanN on 02-08-2002 at 07:32 PM

If you have the Reference Towers, I would set them to full with all other speakers set to small. Since the receiver is determining the crossover points I would not set a point on the sub or if I did I would be sure it was higher than the crossover point set on the receiver. Somehow my edit got posted as a quote below. Must have pushed the wrong button.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 02-09-2002 at 11:28 AM

quote:

Originally posted by soundog:

If you have the Reference Towers, I would set them to full with all other speakers set to small. Since the receiver is determining the crossover points I would not set a point on the sub or if I did I would be sure it was higher than the crossover point set on the receiver. If you can set the crossover point on the receiver I would choose 60 or above as the R3 surrounds roll out at 57 and the center at 62.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

yea the 60hz on the receiver is both a high pass & low pass filter. you can try large or small on the tower speaks & hear which sounds best to you.

i've found the best sound however w/ everything set small. large on any of the big towers still muddies the bass some. my cross is at 50hz btw. experiment & do which sound best.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

mike-w/speakers set to small, how low will your lfe rolloff allow you to set the bass? if you have a capable sub,i find rolloff to the sub at the bottom end of your speaker's bass-making capability adds to the punch,headroom,and overall performance of my system. on the eq side, i want to see what frequencies are peaking (and 'troughing')in my room, and re-adjust the eq to make it flatter,BUT,i like to accentuate bass,and slightly boost treble;at higher volumes the horns seem to be less in-your-face.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

av, what's this lfe rolloff control on the sony? you mean the high pass or crossover points, or is this a seperate control? or does the sony also send lfe to the other speakers & not just the sub preout?

just curious on how the sony bass mgmt may work differently.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-12-2002 at 12:54 PM