Refinishing Questions for Chorus II's(Oak Oil) and KLF-C7 (Oak)

BLOOMIS914

Well, I am in the final stages of building my basement HT and just got done staining some custom cabinets for all of my audio/video equipment and CD/DVD/VHS storage. I used Minwax Cherry for the first coat and then put Minwax Red Mahogany over it....they look beautiful even before the urethane coats..... TRhe Red Mahogany is too dark when using it alone and the Cherry creates a nice base (IMO). I did numerous test panels on 3/4" Birch.

I have decided to strip and redo my Chorus II's (Oak Oil) and KLF-C7 (Oak) to match the cabinets now.....The wife can't stand the retro look of the Oak with the burlap grille cloth on the Chorus II's.

So, I need to know what type of stripper should I use to remove the current finish lacquer and any tips or suggestions on how to get these speakers down to bare wood again....knowing that the veneer is probably very thin and minimal sanding is better.

Any suggestions on materials and or order of steps would be appreciated. I am comfortable with this job but am looking for some help from fellow Klipsch owners to prevent any dumb mistakes.

I have read numerous posts from other refinishers here but thought I should post a new thread just in case.

I will post photos of my cabinets for all to see and of my speakers in their current Oak color.

Thanks, Brett

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

Brett,

Can't answer your question but am curious as well, since I also have Oiled Oak Chorus II's. I was wondering if you have had a chance to A/B your 30's with your Chorus's and if so, which do you prefer?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-21-2002 at 09:10 AM

Hey Mike, aren't you supposed to be working on them Heresy's? Smile.gif Mike brought his 30's over to my house and we listened to them, as well as my Chorus II's. I would have liked to have listened to the 30's a little longer but what I heard was very nice. If I had to take one over the other however, I think I would hang on to my Chorus's...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Although the KLF's sounded fantastic on your system, I would agree that the Chorus' sounded "smoother". The KLF's seemed a little bright to me in your room. If I would have had a little more time, maybe moving them closer\further away from the wall or optimizing them with your home theater dvd could have made the comparison a lot closer. I do think that some folks on this board have no idea what a hidden jewel the Chorus' are. It seems that folks are taken with the Cornwalls, and spending $1800 when they can find a great pair of Chorus' for much less. Believe me, I'm not critical of the "Cornwall people" as I am one. I do want to convert to a "LaScala People" someday.

Mike,

I have to agree with you about the Chorus's. As of late, it looks like the Forte's have been selling at a higher price than the Chorus's out on eBay. That's fine with me, however. After having you out, I am now in the market for a pair of Cornwalls (Oiled Oak or Finished Black) as I think I can squeeze them into my room. I won't be paying $1800 for them however. I'm hoping to steal a pair for $5-600. When I do end up with a pair, I will sell a pair of my Chorus's. I may even consider the Cornwall II as the mid (K-57-K) and tweeter (K-79-K) are identical to the mid and tweeter on the Chorus I's...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike, that's where I'm headed with my HT. I have a set of Cornwall II's as mains - and I want a set of Chorus to use as surrounds (same tweeter/squawker as Cornwall II). I agree that the Chorus is an excellent alternative to the Cornwalls, similar driver size and type with a smaller footprint. They are certainly overlooked by most, and that's OK with me - means that I won't need to pay 1800+ to get them.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Mike, Next time I'm in O-Town, I will bring the Cornwalls. I don't think there will be a giant sonic difference between the Chorus and the Walls though, you will need a longer cable for the left channel. I will also keep the caffine intake in-check so I can enjoy a Moosehead or few.

I was just the opposite. Wanted a set of Chorus (I's preferably) for rear surrounds but the price on e-bay was a little high....~$800. Was holding out until a pair was in my range and stumbled upon the Cornwalls for $500. Oh well, what's one to do? Had to 'settle' for the Walls. Not sorry in the least. Damn pleased in fact.

Back on topic now.....these CW's were not finished in a motiff that was condusive to the rest of my speakers....in other words, to me, they were butt ugly. Nothing wrong with them mind you, just not my color scheme. I'm an oiled dark walnut with black grilles kind of person, these were cheesy blond/green varnish over raw birch with white-ish grilles.

Bloom, I used Jasco stripper to get the excessive varnish off. The directions on the can were exactly followed and I had no problem. Crap came off like wet snot. After cleaning off the remainder of the stripper with a moist cloth, I gave the wood a light sanding with 200 grit sandpaper. LIGHT sanding is the key. Once the wood was bared, I applied a base coat of dark walnut minwax, followed by a couple of coats of red mahogany. After a few days, I applied Watco oil on. Virtually identical to the WO's of my other speaks.

For the grilles, I removed the bazillion staples then, using Klipsch black cloth, stretched and stapled. Piece of cake.

Good luck.

------------------

Ed

Hi, when I refinished my La Scala's I used a citrus based stripper (Yep, the bottle was orange)

It worked very well with the following technique:

1. Apply the stripper, and then cover the surface with saran wrap and leave overnight. The saran wrap allows the stripper to continue to work without prematurely drying out.

2. I used a wood scraper to remove the layers of varnish crud. This requires a delicate touch so as not to scar the wood.

3. I sanded and then proceeded. Check back a month or so for a post where I showcase the result (Royal Mahogany was my colour of choice as well)

------------------

Gear: Klipsch La Scala ;THX home cinema: KT-LCR, KT-SW15

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Panasonic RP91 DVD

NAD 7140 Stereo receiver powering LaScalas

Almost finished with the first CW. Still have to apply the Watco, but will wait for another week or so. I apologize for the crappy pic, but my ancient digital camera is max 640x480 res. Hopefully, you can get an idea though.

Missing from my earlier procedure testimonial is that I covered the top edges. With sweat pouring from brow, I used a router to take down the exposed ply edges and applied walnut edge veneer. I also edge veneer'd the face to cover the exposed ply edges. WAF, you know. Finally, I fabricated risers. 4" along the front sloping to 3" along the rear. This gives the CW a 'kicked upward' stance which hopefully will help project the sound up and over the couch back. One more to go!

------------------

Ed