ALTEC 288 16k

Hi Guys,

Anyone had experience wiith these Altecs? I have got a pair given to me to try in a 2 way project, one has distortion and the other seems fine. I have pulled the lids off and the diagphrams are different in each and I think they are 8 ohms and not 16. One measures 7.1 and the other 5.7 ohms DC. They both look all right visually but I am no expert. Is it possible to slip in new after market phrams and who would be the best source? I have also read on the Altec site that some of these required a 'kit' before a new fit, not sure what that means? Is there anything else that could go wrong other than the phrams (they have the tangerine phase plug)?

They are big and heavy buggers!

Thanks

Cannon Sound in Oz has aftermarket titanium diaphragms (they should be willing to sell for half of their list price).

http://www.cannonsound.com/store/x_viewItem.aspx?idProduct=87

But........

If you expect the best hi-fi sound, and aftermarket diaphragm is not the way to go.

The 'kit' is just some different fixing screws and push-on terminals, and your model doesn't need them. If you use an aftermarket diaphragm you will need a longer set of screws and some spade terminals.

they should be willing to sell for half of their list price

That's in Australian dollars, , so it's still $111.60+ in USD. The exchange rate is killing anyone buying overseas.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite horns:

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/HR90%20EDS.pdf

The newer ones (as shown here) are drilled with both Altec and EV bolt patterns.

Being relatively unknown, they can be bought for a reasonable price (unlike Altec 311-90 and 511-E).

A second choice would be the MRII594, also reasonable priced. Used in most of the newer Voice-of-the-Theater models.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1993-pro/1993-36.JPG

EV also sells this horn, but the throat not compatible.

He hasn't said here how low he want's to cross it.

If he wants to cross it at 400hz/12dB there is its big brother, the HR9040.

But what if we are going to use 24dB/oct?

The driver loading limit based on a 12dB crossover is 500hz. The recommended beamwidth limited crossover point is 800hz.

In fact, the horizontal beamwidth at 500hz is 90°.

What about the Altec 311-90?

The beamwidth starts opening up in the horizontal plane below 500hz too, the Q is only 5 at 500hz vs the EV HR90 being 4.8

Why is there virtually no difference in Q at 500hz?

A look at the sizes tells the story:

Altec 311-90 29.1W x 12.3H x 16.5D

EV HR90 23.9W x 11.2H x 13.9D

The Width and Height ultimately control the beamwidth at lower frequencies, the Depth the low cut-off point.

The 1/4W length of the driver and horn suggest a cut-off of 165hz and 190hz respectively, and smooth response to be expected above the 1/2W points of 330hz and 380hz.

So is the Altec really a 300hz horn? Is the EV really an 800hz horn?

The conical mouth on the EV is the only thing that would keep me from trying to push it down to 380hz. I would not worry about a 500hz crossover at 24dB/oct for home use.

The highly revealing 'put-the-horn-up-to-your-mouth-and-talk-through-it' test has the EV sounding more natural (don't try this on a K400 or you will cringe).

Thanks for you comments. I would like to cross it at a lower point (400hz) but I would need to find the horn that could do this. I read the 288 is a 500hz driver. I have tried the 'mouth to horn' test, the k401 is a shocker when comparing against a tractrix!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have done a 'quick & dirty' intro of the 288 to my Khorns fixed behind a tractrix horn (Edgar). What a sound! These beasts certainly introduce a presence that the smaller K55 is unable to achieve but still the K55 is not a bad driver. It has micro details that the big Altec lacks but makes up for in presence and naturalness. I think the Altecs are a few db above the rating of the Khorn and I guess I would need some sort of attenuation. Yes I know to do a proper job I would need to take out the AK4 network and put something better in its place that would accomodate the Altec but I am looking (at this stage) for a quick fix. I have taken off the top hat of the Khorn and built my own so that I can configure the Crites tweeter and the Altec. The Altec is pushed as far back against the corner as it can go and the tweeter is more forward, vertical and right of the tractrix both angled to the listening position. I have spent some time using my ears to configure their placement, which is just awesome! Further fiddling with attenuation would help.

Any ideas/suggestions, I'm also trying to find a 311 lens.

Thanks guys