What does a blown horn actually sound like?

paully

If it is possible to put into words. I keep coming back to something just not being right with my system. Horns (and only horns, not strings) sound distorted. Voices in certain registers sound buzzy, but not much else. Actually they sound absolutely wonderful except for the ocassonal buzziness and the buzziness is repeatable at the same point on the track. I can hear the same sort of thing on other speakers but not nearly as pronounced and I don't remember Mark's Klipschorns (or any other Klipsch) having that problem. I have used multiple amps, preamps, and sources to no avail. It could be my ears for all I know and I live in an area without other audiophiles so I can't get a second opinion. Argh!

Have you checked all connections....how old are the crossovers......is it just a CD that just does it? I would check the RCA onnections also.One time i was watching a movies and kept hearing a noise that sounded like clipping on my K-horns,,,turns out grandson loosened the woofer connections just enough to cause this.Rick

When a voice coil starts to let go, it will usually exhibit buzz or rattle at particular frequency first. That is why a frequency sweep is a good test for a used driver, it'll spot a bad one in a hurry. Sometimes the speaker will sound fine at lower volumes at the same track or when it is first played and the driver is cold. After heating up, more volume or more time- they usually only get worse.

Try several recordings and see if you don't hear the buzz at the same frequency on all of them. Chances are you need a new diaphragm/voice coil which can be readily changed on many Klipsch drivers. If Parts will sell it to you, it's field replaceable. Ask the guys in Tech for Driver Replacment instructions.

Michael

I can pick up a sweep disc, that sounds like a good idea. Will let me hone in the exact frequency that is bugging me. Also, probably should try tightening stuff down and see if that makes a difference. But I like the sweep idea, I will give it a shot. Thanks.