Charlie Wilson's War

WMcD

This is a wonderful movie. I give it a thumb up with my left hand, and a thumb up with my right hand.

Tom Hanks is at his likeable best. The real star is Hoffman as a perfect foil as a know it all.

I suggest you put it on the top of your list of movies to see on DVD.

Gil

• 4 weeks later...

I loved how liberal Hollywood credited a Democratic Senater from Texas as ending the cold war. Is that how its gonna be written in the history books?

Yep. 'Cause it's pretty much true, if not the whole story. The book, by 60 Minutes producer George Crile, was more inclusive and gave more credit to other big players including Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill.

Wilson apparently was from a time when bipartisan cooperation from congressional and executive leadership was in much greater vogue than now, before attack politics began to rule the day. The movie mentioned, but didn't make a big deal of it, that Reagan was instrumental in its success by overriding his military leadership to approve giving anti-aircraft rockets to the mujadiheen. I suppose it was trying to keep focus on plot and actors, but did downplay the strong Republican leader's role.

Leaving us to ponder: was the blowblack from arming and training mujahideen like Osama bin Ladin worth the rise of radical Islamists and 9/11? That was CharlieW's first thought when he heard about the WTC towers and Pentagon attacks.

Yes, on the record -- great book! It would take a lot of revisionism to unsay his role.

[Added comments:] The outcome of this war apparently helped set in motion the collapse of the Soviet Union. I once saw a broadcast conference on it with comments to that effect from members of both parties. It's safe to say that Reagan had a great vision that contributed to the outcome, but so did others. And the whole thing probably wouldn't have happened without Charlie W's doing.

51dTL5TblrL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Wilsons-War-Extraordinary-Congress/dp/B00192H56K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215278292&sr=8-6

• 2 weeks later...