Adding a SUB to rear surrounds?

Craig6519

I used to have a Klipsch KSW-12 running my LFE and a Klipsch KSW-10 wired in parallel with my rear sorrounds KSP-S6 set to large. I remember that when i set the rears to large there was a lot of BASS back there. Anyway i sold them and upgraded to dual 20-39CS w/samson s700 and WOW what a difference, I have since sold the 20-39's and ordered the 20-39CS+ w/s1000 and can't wait for shipping to begin. I was just wondering if i'd still get the same effect adding another sub to the rears with the SVS runiing up front, I know theres a lot of DVD's out there that have 50hz or less going to the rears. Any opinions? Am i wasting my money?

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Front Center (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Rear Center (Awaiting 6.1)

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS+ Sub's (coming soon)

Samson S1000 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

(2)Acurus 200x3

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Sony S565D DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Everything I've read (that makes sense to me) tells me that you should have all your bass comming from ONE place (your sub!) Put that sub in the best place in your room, and set all speakers to small. Doing otherwise can possibly induce cancelation effects. I wouldn't waste your time adding rear subs, but the only advantage you might get is more proximal rumble or vibration in your seat - not necessarily louder bass. Likely less bass.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Hey Craig,despite what everyone says, if set up correctly it may help.But with your dual SVS's it would probably be a waste of money.Sub bass being none directional,you shouldn't hear bass ques from the rear.

That said,I have powered towers with 12" powered subs.Four of 'em.Have a couple Klipsch dedicated LFE powered subs.Adding another soon( no corners,perpendicular to mains,etc.),We're talking bass you can feel(neighbors too).Ran thru Saving Private Ryan,U-571,Mummy,Matrix,etc. last night.Wish you could feel it.Gives nice massage after long days work :^)!

Why buy the dual SVS's if there was no advantage?

Good luck whatever you decide.

Keith

TTK, I'm not saying that SVS aren't rocking my world, i just wanted to tweak that much further if it'll work!! I read an article in widescreen review that talked about dvd's having 50hz and sometimes less being sent to the suround channels. I remember a couple of years ago when i had a ksw-10 hook to my rear surrounds and set them to large the sub really made a difference back there that really surprised me, maybe with the svs subs i won't notice it again, thats why i was asking opinions on the subject. You know how you just sit around trying to think how you can improve things right?

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Front Center (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Rear Center (Awaiting 6.1)

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS+ Sub's (coming soon)

Samson S1000 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

(2)Acurus 200x3

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Sony S565D DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

OK Craig.Hate to encourage people to spend money.But you sound just as sick as myself and most everyone else around here.

I have a rear sub and run my S-6's large.I have the rear sub plugged into the wall mounted banana plug wall plate that also feed my S-6's.And I like it.

Keith

Ok, TTK and boa12, Thanks for your comments, i was just looking for tips and suggestions on why this would or wouldn't work. I'm not sure how the s6 would sound with stereo 5.1/7.1 presay because my yamaha has a lot of DSP effects for this which i hate, nothing direct but waiting on a new pre-amp now. Second i have dual 20-39CS with the S700 amp now, do i need more bass NO!! i was just curious if adding a rear sub would add to the effect? I also have pre-ordered 20-39CS+ (dual) with S1000 ampcwm30.gif

Craig

Craig,after listening tests I prefer using my S-6's for music in 7-channel stereo.That is,with MY system.YMMV.

I don't go fot the small rear,send the sub bass to the sub,you can't tell where the lows are coming from,crap that others believe.

Get seven full range 20hz-20khz speakers,pop in Saving Private Ryan,then come on back and we'll talk some more.

Great set-up dude.The 4802 would be hard to beat.As usual,anything I say is simply my opinion.

Keith

Ok TTK, do you think that a pair of KSW-10's would do the job well enough? or something more on the lines of a pair of LF-10's? I'm trying to keep them small. Because I'm assuming you don't get a whole lot of bass below 50hz in the rears that a pair of 10's wouldn't have any trouble handling this.

Craig