Altec Valencias vs. Klipsch Chorus I

texas42

I'm looking at possibly picking up a pair of Altec Valencias (2 way, about the size of a pair of LaScalas). Would these be a step or (or down) from my Chorus I? I'd have to drive a bit to listen but just investigating whether it is worth the effort, not being familiar with the Altec sound. Associated components to be used are a JM Peach preamp and either my McIntosh MC-7300 (I know a bit of overkill with 300 wpc but I love the sound of Mac) or a pair of Wright Sound 3.5 monos (2A3 tube amp with 3.5 watts of SET). Any opinions appreciated. I posed this query in another board I visit but since I now own the Klipsch and it is a vintage horn thought some on here might have valuable insight. Thanks in advance...

I think Duke hit the nail on the head. The valencias are really nice speakers, they sound great in the mids...the chorus seems to bang out the bass a bit more...if you are used to that type of sound you might miss the bass. starting from scratch (like the times I heard these two speakers) you might prefer the valencia's overall sond quality. no chance for you to audition the valencias? that would be ideal. regards, tony

I think Duke hit the nail on the head.  The valencias are really nice speakers, they sound great in the mids...the chorus seems to bang out the bass a bit more...if you are used to that type of sound you might miss the bass.  starting from scratch (like the times I heard these two speakers) you might prefer the valencia's overall sond quality.  no chance for you to audition the valencias?  that would be ideal.  regards, tony

Unfortunately, due to the distance they are from me, I won't be able to audition them 'in' my system with my amps or against my Chorus, head to head. I'll certainly audition them there before any purchase and just hope they are impressive enough to want to keep. I could always add a sub to fill out the lower registers (if needed). Due to the small room they would be in though, not sure how necessary that would be.

You ... will loose 15 hz of bass ..

and Gain ..

Glorious Mid's ...Wink

sensitivity will be close

Here's the best of both worlds......

But, you're still losing 15 hz of bass..........[:P]

Carl.

P.S. Experience with both including owning Valencias, and those would be my preference.