Toshiba HD-AXX players

InVeNtOr

hey there, i will be putting a band aid on my theater system by buying a toshiba hd player. in one of my other posts it was discussed that the toshiba hd-a3 was a great player. now just between the toshiba line up, how do the hd players rank? i have found the hd-a20, hd-a30, hd-a2, hd-a3, and hd-a35.

from what i have read the a35 was the last player they made and had all the newest upgrades, so i assume it's the top dog. the a2 and a3 models i think have an upscale of 1080i and i think the a20 and a30 can go up to 1080p. i can't get too much info on all the different models, even toshiba's web site doesn't explain it all. my tv will be a 720p so the upscale isn't that important, i would be more interested in the different sound options. does the different sound features in the players have any effect on standard dvd's?

thanks for any help

It might be kind of hard to find some of the models as the major retailers only list some of them or none at all. The reviews on the HD-A35 on Newegg and B & H were very good for the video and audio.Mine works just fine.

JJK

From what I recall, the XA2 has the best video processor.

I agree with CECAA850, the HDXA2 was the best of the bunch due to its Silicon Optix Reon video processor. That is why I bought mine. One of the best upconverting DVD players made to this date. And, if you bought one now, you could probably get a much better price than the $500 I spent on mine. Secrets of Home Theater Benchmark is a great resource for comparing DVD player performance. Some real deals out there that compete with players costing hundreds or even thousands more!!!!

will the different video processors have an impact on me since my tv will only do 720p? i read a review that the a30 didn't do the 1080p up conversion well, it did however do the 1080p/24 well but it said if your tv doesn't have that feature then it's best to go down to the a3.

will the different sound options (between the models) make a difference on a standard dvd?

The different video processors used will make a difference, no matter the native resolution. What you notice really depends on your knowledge of video processing and what the different manifestations are. If you are unaware of what chroma errors, bad deinterlacing, moire, cadence transitions, noise, and other video artifacts look like, then the processor\player you select will not have as great an impact on your video experience.

The audio options via DVD players will not make any significant difference on SD DVD when going digital.

Hope this helps.

will the different video processors have an impact on me since my tv will only do 720p? i read a review that the a30 didn't do the 1080p up conversion well, it did however do the 1080p/24 well but it said if your tv doesn't have that feature then it's best to go down to the a3.

will the different sound options (between the models) make a difference on a standard dvd?