Zander's Mahler 3rd on Telarc

TheEvan

I've been searching for a new Mahler 3rd on CD to go with my CSO/Levine on vinyl. I've heard both acclaim and controversy about Zander's approach...which involves a more literal approach to the score, which produces wilder contrasts and greater dynamic range. I rolled the dice on the 1st & 3rd. Each one has a bonus CD with Zander lecturing at length on the respective symphony.

In short, I love 'em, especially the 3rd. The 1st is a gas, but the recording sounds a bit muddled. The 3rd is an absolute knockout performance and the sonics are wonderful. My only quibble is with the overly tight and emphasized orchestral bass drum that is a Telarc signature. I dunno...I've never heard it like that in a hall. That aside, the recording is glorious and has what I think must be the greatest dynamic range ever recorded. Recommended.

Anybody else try any Zander Mahler?

He is or at least was the conductor of the Boston Philharmonic. I have not heard his Mahler . I happen to like MTT's (sf Symphony) Mahler collection. I believe his performance and recording of the 3rd was rated the best classical release of the year in 2002 or 2003. Its available on SACD through the SF Symphony web site for those interested.

Josh