Heresy's match? need quick advice

FatesWarning

Hi, I found a local ad with a guy selling a pair of Walnut Heresy's in "Like New" condition...about 1 hour from my house. The serials are 106U221 and 222, which corresponds to 1980. They look nice and shiny in the picture, but it's not a close up view. I have two 1977 Heresy's as my fronts, and I was looking for a Center. However, I may wind up buying a total of 5. How can I find out if these 1980's have the same components as my 1977's? Mine have K77 tweeters, K55V mid, and K22 woofers. What is the year range that matches my 1977's perfectly? Finally, what would be a fair cash price to offer him if I pick these 1980's up at his house? He advertised them for $600, but that seems very high. Thanks!

They should match in the internal components. Was not until late 82 that the K-24 started appearing as the woofer. By the end of 83 and mid 84, the midrange was also changed to the K-53/701, and the crossover was also changed to the E2. Dependent upon condition, an offer of $350 - $400 is fair for that year. You can cite current prices are around $375 - $450 for a pair in nice condition, but also advise him that the capacitors in the crossovers are likely shot and will need replacement. Good luck and jope that is of some assistance.

Thanks guys. I just started researching speakers a few days ago. My new Onkyo 606 will be here tomorrow. I ordred an ED A2-300 sub, which will be here in a couple weeks. I also ordered a kit to change the capacitors in my 1977 Heresy's...will be here next week. I would like to confirm the Heresy's are the best choice for my listening needs before I make the offer. I am at a critical decision point since I also need a center and surrounds. My room is 24 X 16 with 9' ceiling.

I watch a ton of movies and HD TV....just bought a PS3 and plan to watch blu ray with the new sound codecs on the 606. I also watch alot heavy metal music concerts. Heavy on guitars, drums, base, etc. I like several other types of music as well, but metal is my favorite. (watch others on the Comcast HD music channel).

I've heard the Heresy's are dynamic and aggressive, but not very accurate in comparison to newer models. I'm not sure what dynamic and aggressive means in terms of sound. I'm hoping someone could describe the detailed sound differences between the Hersey's and the newer lines of Klipsch speakers, such as Reference or others. If you think newer speakers would sound better for my listening needs, I could always sell my Heresy's and spend a little more on new stuff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

forget the buzzwords and when you get the Heresys up and freshened...they will be better than you can imagine...I ran a 5 Heresy Home Theater with Outlaw Audio stuff...you NEED a sub...that will take care of the "heavy lifting" for the lower bass (I currently have an Outlaw Audio/HSU LFM 1 and it is great...since my purchase, they have two improvements that go lower)...I prefer a Heritage Home Theater...

Bill