Suggested Reciever

RoadconeTuning

Hello everyone, im not COMPLETELY new to the whole stereo/home theatre thing but ive always dealt with cheaper stuff and i recently purchased a Klipsch SUB-12 to go along with some old Optimus Linaeum speakers i was using with an AIWA reciever... yes i know its all phooey....

well i just purchased myself a set of Klipsch B-3's and the 30.5" Wood-Tech stands and im pretty sure that my current reciever has a fairly abismal power rating as it cost about 80 bucks when it was new 6 or 7 years ago. Now im looking into getting a decent reciever that i can build my Home Theatre setup with, i doubt ill EVER have a room large enough to jam 7 speakers so id like to keep it to 5.1 recievers but if its a 7.1 or 7.2 reciever its fine as long as it stays within my price range... which is currently about 500 bucks...

ive looked around on this forum a little over the past few days and noticed that people seem to dig the Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo stuff... i found 3 different Denon recievers that seemed to fit what i need and they were AVR-688, AVR-689 and AVR-788, there was way too many Yamaha recievers for me to even look at and most of them apeared to be out of my price range, as for the Onkyo's well as ive said, im not exactly up to date on everything, haha.

My Father and I have both had great experience with Pioneer products in the past, most of it has been with professional gear but we've each had a pioneer reciever at one point in time and they both did great. The VSX-1017TXV-K and the VSX-918V-K both seem to be decent in my eyes... BUT i am a n00b and im hoping that my fellow Klipschians will guide me to a better purchase....

Cliffs Version, i need a A/V Reciver so i can watch movies and listen to music with my new B-3's and my SUB-12, i plan on expanding at a later date and my budget is about 500 bucks... thanks

I say go with an Onkyo TX-sr 606. This is an upgrade to the 605 model which if you researched you would see how great it is...although i could be biased becuase I own the 605. I also own the B-3's and the onkyo pushes them very well and helps movies sound really good. the sub-12 is larger than the sub-10 (which i own) and it will sound great once you have the full system hooked up. gl

• Like 1

I don't have my receiver yet, but I just purchased a factory refurbished Onkyo TX-SR805 for $484.10 including shipping. Retail is $1100-1200. There is pretty much no receiver in that price range that will even come close to the options and power of the Onkyo. 130 watts x 7 and THX Ultra 2 certified. 3 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out. It will be here Thursday and I can't wait to get it!

All you have to do is sign up for a free membership in Club Onkyo. Their regular refurbished price is $649, they had it on sale for $549 and now through July 7 (I think) there's an extra 10% off and they ship it free FedEx ground. You can buy a two year extended warranty for around $60 but the factory 1 year warranty applies.

http://www.clubonkyo.com/

wuzzer,

i tried to do the onkyo thing, but they want to charge me tax so for me it comes to $522, did you guys get charged tax?

I didn't. I remember seeing on the website that there were maybe 5-6 states that they needed to charge tax. Onkyo must have some kind of office or shipping department in those states. Even at $522 its a steal!

friggin awesome man... i was actually looking at that, im going to go ahead and throw it on my credit card... w00t

*EDIT*

just ordered it... again, thanks for the heads up

Nice! Glad I was able to help. Please make sure to post a review of what you think of the receiver. When I get mine Thursday I'll have a 2.1 setup. I've been looking for a deal on a local pair of rear surrounds or center speaker that I'll eventually add to my setup.

well wuzzer you steared another person to the onkyo reburb item. i just bought the 805 this morning. i really hope it comes with a remote! i called them up today, andi have to say they were the worse customer support i have ever spoke to.

i ended up paying $503 some how, yesterday it was $522.....

thanks for the tip...

man, i didnt even think about whether or not it came with the remote, i sure as heck hope that it does... if not then some things might be impossilbe to change if its ANYTHING like my AIWA... i cant even turn the sub on and off without the remote with my AIWA...

Just got my Onkyo today. It came with a remote, AM antenna, FM antenna, power cable and Audyssey setup microphone. The only thing it doesn't come with is audio cables. Being able to have my PS3 and HD-DVD player run HDMI only really cleaned everything up behind my TV. Be warned, the Onkyo is HUGE!!! I had to take out the glass shelf in my TV stand to be able to fit it in, and its actually sitting in there at a 45 degree angle because it is A LOT deeper and taller than most components, its over 17" deep and something like 7 1/2" tall.

BIGGER THE BETTER!

i just got my emotiva amp in today and can't wait to pair those two up! i lucked out and got the 7 channel amp for 449 with free shipping! i am going to bi-amp the front 3! i figured that was a way better deal than an acurus (used) for the same money.

i am crawing out of my skin to get into my home and hook all this stuff up!