Listening Test Results

• Moderators

Seven forum members participated in a 30 minute blind listening evaluation. Behind the curtains were the Palladium P-38F (mid-size floorstander) and the B&W 802D.

Results: 5 preferred speaker A (Palladium), while 2 choose speaker B (B&W).

Some comments:

Palladium

Pros:

• Placed vocals better
  • Sounds more “live”
  • Bass seems more visceral
  • More lifelike, emotional
  • Full sound
  • Forward, more depth
  • Close as you can get to live
  • Clear vocals
  • Brass instruments sound like they are in the room
  • More forward, better vocals
  • Clearer mids
  • Punchier bass
  • More dynamic
  • Wider soundstage
  • Better imaging

Cons:

• Too big at times
  • Not as balanced
  • Exaggerated highs
  • Maybe too much midrange presence
  • Sounded more pinched
  • Less natural and less defined

B&W

Pros:

• Very clean
  • Balanced and smooth
  • Highs balanced well
  • Nice music capability
  • Wide stage
  • Deeper base extension
  • More open and natural
  • More extended highs

Cons:

• Subdued
  • Distant, collapsed, compressed
  • Distorts quality of the music
  • Vocals not as clear
  • Bit muddy
  • Overall bland
  • Less accurate imaging

Like I said in another thread--interesting comments! Just proves again to me how speakers sound different to different ears (and brains).

A few comments were made about the level matching. We did attempt to match them as close as possible since the B&W were about 5dB down, all things equal.

Picture attached of the set up.

Thanks to the 7 of you for your participation!

post-4329-1381938154062_thumb.jpg

post-4329-1381939295206_thumb.jpg

Guest IVstringer

I should point out that the computer is not part of the test gear. Rather, it "happened" to be there when Amy took the picture.

Listeners are given information about the setup and procedure prior to entering the room.They fill out a data sheet prior to the evaluation so that Klipsch knows something about their listening habits and home system(s).

There is a fixed selection of tracks specially chosen by Klipsch listening evaluation teams that we use consistently so that we are all familiar with the music and know what details to listen for.

The speakers are identically setup, volume matched, and hidden behind a completely visually opaque, acoustically transparent scrim. Note that they are spread identical distances so the soundstage cannot be physically larger with one pair. The technician selects a distance from the front wall that is equally beneficial to both speakers (ie, does not 'favor' one set)

The listener is alone in the room with a controller for track selection, volume, A/B. That is all. They are given 20-30 minutes to listen to whatever they wish from the selected tracks for as long as they wish in any order that they wish.

Klipsch listening evaluators have been using this setup very successfully for a few years. The results are valid. The only question about this particular survey was that N was not greater than or equal to 30, but we are not after statistical validity per se, only opinions. The more descriptive the responses, the more data we can collect.

That rack is wired with two very nice Crown K2 solid state amplifers. I'm not sure how they are wired (probably independantly into each speaker) but at 4 ohms they are rated at 800 wpc.

How's that for Tech Support? You won't get that from anyone but Colter! Why? Because I care and I took the time to become knowledgable about many different aspects of the company during 18 months.

Interesting comments...(but you left off my "Sounds like a Dr's office" comment!!!

Also, I think I noticed (and made mention?) that the sound seemed to shift to the left and right, depending on which pair I was listening to. It's interesting to now see how they're setup and that I perceived that correctly.

CROWNS???

Oh, the blasphemy..... hmm...wait... I'm going to have to go home and turn my K2's on!!