Juicy Music and Class D

Macallan

Juicy Music and Class D?

Since I have added the Peach II (Lo-Z Mode) to my system (RF-7 and B&K 200.2) I have been curious about what a solid state amp with higher input impedance would sound like in the Hi-Z mode. I have done some looking around and the Channel Islands D200 look interesting. Has anyone tried class D or UcD with any Juicy products? Or tubes for that matter?

Channel Island D200:

Power Output: 200 watts @ 8 ohms/325 watts @ 4 ohms Bandwidth: 50kHz Frequency Response: 10Hz - 20kHz, +0dB/-0.5dB Damping Factor: >1000 Input Impedance: 100k ohms Gain: 32db (for use with VPC-1 or other passive preamplifiers) or 26db (for use with active preamplifiers) Dimensions: 6.25"w x 5.5"h x 8.0"d Weight: 15 lbs (each)

I've used a Peach to power:

2 McIntosh MC-30's

2 Wright 2A3's

2 Transcendent SE-OTL's (Dee's former)

1 McIntosh MC-2102

1 dbx BX1

1 dbx BX3

2 Crown K2's

Just wore my Juicy Music tee shirt yesterday!!

Sounds great at my place too.

I’ve reviewed the Juicy Music pre-amp with have three Class T (analogue class D chip amps), solid-state and tube amps on big ole horns.

I think you should use the B&K for the bass and a NOSvalves refurbished vintage tube amplifier for the mid and highs.

I reviewed the Trends chip amp and I think it and maybe the high end Sonic Impact is bargain in sound for the money, but they are still not the lush imaging and sweet high-end of tubes on big ole horns. The only things that have better sound for the money is my $5 vintage HK 330B (single transformer) receiver, or my $150 vintage Pioneer 48-pound class A amp.

The JMA preamps, being tube based, require a fairly high input impedance, except for the Peach with the lo-z mode. I have a JMA Merlin and Blueberry Extreme, which both require the Hi Z input on an amp. I normally use a rebuilt Dynaco ST-70 or Moondog 2A3 amps, which sound wonderful with the JMA products.

The amp you are looking at should work fine with any of the JMA preamps, since it has a 100k ohm input impedance. Whether or not they sound good together is another matter entirely. Most SS amps haave a very low input impedance, which coupled to the higher output Z of most tube products, causes the bass to roll off. I believe that is why Mark added the low z output on the Peach.

Bruce