"new system"

808vibe

808, that kind of space in hawaii is luxury! You will get better sound if you can put the speakers on the low ceiling side of the room and let the ceiling slope up from the source of the sound. I have about a 15x15 with a slope from 8 to 12 and have had the set up on both sides, just think of an auditorium and you'll see what I mean.

that's good to know, I think I'll give this a whirl, as I usually use my receiver for the audio anyways

for just about $100 or so, it might be worth the shot to see how it compares.

Thanks, saved me buying an HDMI cable for now!

G2

edited to add, I uploaded the shot of my HT system to that amazon listing for my tv, first time doing that on amazon Cool

G2,

That looks like a Sony 777ES receiver, am I correct??

Roger

Nope, it's the Sony DA5ES Receiver
bought it about 6 years ago

G2

Looks very similar to the 777ES. I bought the 777ES as it was the flag ship at the time and I was tired of 9 seperate remotes, so I went all Sony gear. I liked the Macro function remote capabilities, but what a downgrade in sound capabillities (my god), especially in the 777ESs amp section. Sound improved immensly by adding a seperate Adcom surround amp, but was still way down from what I am used to.

I hope the DA5ES sounds better for you.

My brother in law also bought a Sony 777ES at the same time. They were $1600 each at the time, and like I said, Sonys flagship receiver at the time. Of course the dealer didn't have any Klipsch to hook it up too, but a worse sounding piece I have never heard hooked to my K-Horns.

Roger

It sounds pretty good to me, but I've nothing to truly compare it to, previous setup was

Sansui Integrated amp and tuner, then bought an Adcom power amp, stereo, but the Sansui had

a cleaner more open sound by itself, found that out later on!

Then a Sony non ES receiver when I got into HT, traded the Sansui back where I bought it

so when it was time to move up, went back to the same place, traded in for the ES model, they didn't carry Denon there, had some NAD and not much else

so I was limited on my selection if I wanted to do the trade in thing, also where I bought my RF3's and upgraded to the RF7's and RC7 later on.

Even so, this place is about 60 miles each way, nothing really close, we just got a BestBuy and Circuit City but never considered them high end on stereo equipment.

G2

It sounds pretty good to me, but I've nothing to truly compare it to, previous setup was

Sansui Integrated amp and tuner, then bought an Adcom power amp, stereo, but the Sansui had

a cleaner more open sound by itself, found that out later on!

Then a Sony non ES receiver when I got into HT, traded the Sansui back where I bought it

so when it was time to move up, went back to the same place, traded in for the ES model, they didn't carry Denon there, had some NAD and not much else

so I was limited on my selection if I wanted to do the trade in thing, also where I bought my RF3's and upgraded to the RF7's and RC7 later on.

Even so, this place is about 60 miles each way, nothing really close, we just got a BestBuy and Circuit City but never considered them high end on stereo equipment.

G2

I put together a surround system for my mom with 4 Klipsch KSF 10.5s and an RC-3II. Next, I upgraded her to an RC-7, and then a pair of RF-7s. I bought her a Velodyne HGS-10 dealer Demo subwoofer in clear acrylic. I think I remember you refrenced to possibly owning a Velodyne but can't recall model if so. Anyway, she now has an all R-7 series front with KSF 10.5 towers for rear surrounds. I think the higher Heritage equipement will surface a substandrd piece of equipement faster than the Reference series, but the Pioneer Elite sounds alot better to me on her system than the Sony 777ES did.

Roger

looks like i'm gonna have a difficult time finding a home for the RC7's unless i build something. was looking at a studi tech unit but too small for the RC7's.

the project has spilled into the adjoining dining/kitchen which is actually part of a great room which includes the living area. was thinking of one each in ceiling wall just to fill in sound over conversation when family comes over.

also wanted two in the master bedroom where tv/dvd will be. not sure if i can utilize those speakers part time watching tv and part time feeding off receiver in the living room. was also thinking of connecting a computer to the receiver in the living room in order to listen to on-line radio stations.

lastly wanted one/two speakers in the master bath as i'm building a place for my wife to chill. those will be feeding off the receiver in the living room.

this thing is turning into a 5 headed monster but it's now or never since i'll have the walls open.

any suggestions for the in ceiling/wall speakers?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you know, I said I was going to save money and not get the HDMI but when I was there with my daughter, we went ahead and got a cable, BUT, I should have listened harder to you, you were echoing in my mind as I was buying it [H] as when I hooked everything up, it looked great, but when playing just on the TV the lip sync was off a lot, on the dvd player they have a setting you can change to help get it back in sync but that didn't help, PLUS a few times the video did not come back on, had to turn off the dvd player and back on again to get it to show up,

SO, today, just now actually, I took the HDMI cable back to Circuit City and picked up some monster video cables and audio cables to go via components, like a goof I had given my other cables to my daughter, but that's ok, they needed them anyways. I hooked up some flunky cables to test my theory out and yep, the lip sync was dead on with the component and audio cables hooked up, I'll tweak the player a bit more later with the new cables when I get home tonight. I was worried when I took the cable back, as I didn't keep the plastic case they come in, but they exchanged it with no problem at all.

Now I wonder if the upconverting will work via the component cables or not, either way, with a small screen crt it looks pretty good anyways!

G2

edited to say found the manual on line for my TV and the component
input will accept 1080i so I should be able to upconvert too...