"new system"

808vibe

after 25 years of other priorities in life i can now put some of our resouces into some fun stuff for us.

with a limited budget i've decided to pursue used equipment.

i'll be using this 75 music / 25 HT in a great room approx 30x35' with a sloped ceiling that rises up to 18' against a wall where the components will be placed. my wife doesn't care for surround sound and i prefer music so i can put the $$ into better front speakers.

for consideration are...

both demos...RF7 $1200 or RF5 $879 with a sub to come in the future to make up for the bass.

powered by a Denon 2803 receiver $290

will also be looking for a center channel speaker.

your comments are appreciated.

Welcome! A room like that deserves K-horns (I'm jealous)! They should fill that room full of sound nicely. I would seriously consider purchasing a used pair, but they might be out of your budget??

However, given the items for consideration above, I wouldn't go with anything less than the 7's. I think you will be disappointed driving the 7's in a room like that with a 2803, but the 2803 might be a good place for you start and you can easily add more/better quality power to that setup later, particularly if your budget is currently strained.

-PB

Pulled the trigger and picked up a pair of almost mint 7's (only grill prongs were damaged but they also had two new grills). didn't notice an RC-7 to the side. dealer discounted half off along with another 400 for the trio just trying to move along "older inventory".

won't have a place to enjoy them for about 4 months until i finish renovating the house. oh well, can't get better incentive than that. waited for my girls to grow up. now i can be the kid again. wanted a pair of horns since i was introduced to them in the late 70's when my uncles friend had a distributorship but cost as much as my car.

now looking for a receiver possibly denon 3808. again rather find better used stuff than lesser new unit for my $$. any other suggestions? thanks to everyone on the blog helping me to kick start purchasing decisions.

Congrats! Seven's are Heaven, so to speak [H]

Have mine for a while now, lovely to look at and to listen to

for both music and HT too here's a quick shot taken of my

setup, there's an RC7 just beneath that Samsung slimfit HD CRT

BARELY fit in there on that shelf but sounds a lot nicer lower than

when it was on top of my old cabinet RF7's system

Was looking at a Denon just the other day, well on line, might move up

from the Sony I have now, it's fairly decent receiver, but getting upgraditis again...

G2

Thanks G2,

yes, i was wondering how i was gonna set up the RC7. just started to look for stereo furniture. an option is to start with kitchen cabinets eg: kraftmaid and configure from there. any ideas?

boy the RF-7's shure dwarf the samsung. what size is the screen? my wife may "force me" into something that doesn't get swallowed up by the speakers (hehe). i don't consider myself an "audiophile", just know what i like, enjoying live/good music so purchases will have to live with me for a while.

V8

It's a modest size TV, 30" diagonal, went for that instead of LCD for right now

just like the looks of a CRT and will wait for the faster refresh times that I'm sure will be coming.

This one is also a High Def tv, 1080i, works great, looks great...

I had the RF3's before but I didn't think they were as musical, where the RF7's just have more

presence to them, also have a velodyne sub but the RF7's have a good amount of ummph to them

all by themselves.

The stand I picked out for it's clean look, trimmed back on my components so everything fits pretty

well on that, it's a Bello stand, here's a Link

that has a better view of what it looks like.

The speakers are just about even with the top of the tv, so it sort of 'looks' right, at least to me

G2

wow...what dealer had the rf-7's and rc-7's there?

I was at a dealer in Overland Park KS (Kansas City) and they still had a pair of RF7's in the box. They also had demo units of the RF5, and RB75, RB35. The older series are definately still out there in the stores. They also had alot of used Mac gear for sale. Very nice people in that store. I must have hung around for about 2 hours talking with the salesman and demoing various gear.

WOW G2, I am surprised the RC-7 fit in that stand, the specs say 7 inches for the shelve height, I know my RC-7 is 9 inches tall. Looks like maybe their height was limited by the support beam for the glass and you did not have to run your RC-7 back far enough to be under that beam. Does the RC-7 have to "hang off" the shelf any to fit there?, I couldn't tell from your picture.

It looks nice, I think your next upgrade should be a 50 inch plasma display, it would fit very well there.

Well, it BARELY fits, here is a quick image of the speaker from the side, you can see that the top glass and middle glass TIGHTLY sandwich the speaker, it doesn't overhang too much, but you'd not want anything larger in there!

As to a larger tv, once they get the refresh rates better I may upgrade, for now, I am partial to the crt look, just so tight!

I think I might get a new dvd player that upconverts to 1080i as my tv is High Def, just not sure how the dvd's will look, I don't want things looking plasticty like I've seen some sets look, so I'm hesistant to get one, Bestbuy has a 5 disc Sony for $116 that's tempting...

G2

Thanks G2, I would not bother with an upconverting DVD player, the TV will do the upconverting for you if you already have a good DVD player preferably one with component outputs. You would be better off going straight to a high definition player. Blu-ray of coarse is now the choice however some people are picking up HD-DVD since it is also great with STD DVD and there are excellent deals on both players and HD-DVD movies now. HD-DVD might be a better choice than an upconverting STD DVD plaver if you don't want to go with Blu-ray yet. I have the Panasonic DMP-BD10A Blu-ray player and I am very happy with it, the newer BD30 would be a great choice!

My display is a 50 inch TH-50PH9UK Panasonic professional plasma display, with RF-5's in front, RC-7 center and four RS-3 surrounds with an RW-12d sub.

wow...what dealer had the rf-7's and rc-7's there?

Hmmmm, I just noticed that in the speaker pages Klipsch has moved the RF-7, RF-5 and RC-7 (probably some others as well) back onto the Current Products pages and not the Discontinued Products pages where they have been...... does this mean they will be available again??

I don't think that this model does up conversion, I'm using the component out, the dvd play doesn't have HDMI, so that's the best I can do out of the dvd player.

The TV is a Samsung Slimfit 30" CRT, there isn't any changes that I can see to be made on the TV itself

to upconverting any input signal.

Here's a link to the TV I own Samsung TX-S3082WH

G2

Yes your set may benefit from an upconverting DVD player since it is CRT, LCD and plasma have fixed native resolutions and up/down convert all incoming signals to their fixed native resolution so they do the upconverting in the display whether the DVD player does or not. But a high definition DVD player will upconvert STD DVD's and give you the benefit of high definition DVD as well. Both HDMI and component are high quality cables for picture quality, sometimes it is actually better to use component cable instead of HDMI, usually with tuners (cable/satelite boxes) component is a better choice since HDMI has "digital handshake" issues.

that's good to know, I think I'll give this a whirl, as I usually use my receiver for the audio anyways

for just about $100 or so, it might be worth the shot to see how it compares.

Thanks, saved me buying an HDMI cable for now!

G2

edited to add, I uploaded the shot of my HT system to that amazon listing for my tv, first time doing that on amazon [H]