KLF-20 100db Vs RF-7102db

Hello

In case some are wondering what the sound difference is between the RF-7 And the KLF-20 I now have them both on the same unit, and performed an A-B comparison. This is using a pioneeer SX 1050.

1. They both have thunderous bass response.

2. At the same volume the RF-7 is a bit louder. 102Db

3. The RF-7 tweeter is much clearer, and louder.

4. The KLF-20 has a bit better midrange, and tweeter separation. 3 Way. This is noticed on some music, but not on all. The RF-7 is trully remarkable, as to keep up with a full 3 way.

5. Can sure hear the difference in the build quality of the RF-7, over the KLF-20. But the KLF-20 sure does put up a challenge for the RF-7s thats for sure.

6. The top end of the KLF-20, although the separation is excellent, the array seems a bit dull in comparison to the RF-7. The RF-7 is very clear. Its unreal. Again this is the build quality difference between the 2 towers. The RF-7s appear to have a better drivers.

7. No complaints on the bass extension on either one. Some may say the KLF-20 appears to have more bass than the RF-7. I found the RF-7 brighter than the KLF-20. This would make it seem that the RF-7 has less bass. They both have a very outstanding bass extension. I would almost have to say equal on this. I would trully have to say that both towers are maxed out on the bass extension, due to their size. More bass than this means a larger cabinet array.

8. I can listen to the KLF-20, more comfortable with a bit louder volume. Not to put down the RF-7, the build quality difference between the 2 here is noticed.

9. The modified horn in the RF-7 is remarkable as far as a mid, and tweeter sound. Listening to both towers I can hear both mid, and tweeter come out of the top RF-7 horn, and extremely clear. Both mid and tweeter are at the top of the RF-7, as the KLF-20 separates these 2 sounds placing the mid lower in the sound array. I can hear a difference on the KLF-20 mid placement.

My listening experience hear was trully remarkable. If you KLF-20 owners are thinking that there is a better sound out there, there may be. Only not by much, trust me on this one. I place the KLF-20 tower spaeker, as hands down, a very remarkable speaker. This speaker already has most of the sound quality, there really isn't to much more sound to be heard.

The RF-7 basically the only thing that really stood out was the build quality. This was very noticed. I can tell which tower was paid more attention to, as far as detail, on the build. The drivers I can tell right away to be a better driver hands down, over the KLF-20. The KLF-7 modified mid, tweeter horn gave this listening expierence a whole new world. Although I can say even though I own the 7s, i like the 3 way array in the KLF-20s better.

Klipsch should bring back the RF-7 in a 3 way tower array. I think they would sound very good. Even though they really put out the mids the way they are. There is a slight mid difference as compared to a 3 way, but id say not much. In my past years I was not able to compare a 2 way to a 3way. There was just no fair comparison between the 2. Here I can compare the 2 sets of speakers because the Horn in the RF-7 is that good. Id call it a 2 way, with a definate 3 way sound, hands down.

When I had the Klipschorns, I did realize that in my house when I turned them up a bit, the top end on them was so efficient, due to my room size here, the top end was literally screaming before I got any kind of bass extension. Now I have both sounds right up front, and sounding great. If I go to K-horns again, it will be on a more think about situation, rather than just buy them, just to have them.

All in all I give both the RF-7 and the KLF-20 hands down. I dont listen to both pair at the same time as they both sound that well. I enjoy 1 or the other. I love them both.

I also have a set of KG 5.5 towers here. hmm LOL RF-7 would walk all over them in a heartbeat.

Caution: Dont let anyone touch the woofers on the RF-7s when there turned up. The fingernails will dent the cones.

Regards Jim

Very nIce comparison of the two speakers! I use to own the KLF 20s(sold them to my best friend for $200) and now have La Scalas.

I only heard the RF-7s once and they were in a store not set up very well so cannot compare them to the 20s..

Hi Jim,

Are you saying you like the KLF-20 better overall? If that is the case I agree with you. The RF-7 is a lot of fun, but I find that they fatigue me and the KLF-20 does not.

The build quality on the drivers of the KLF-20 is very good. I will agree that the cabinets are not up to the quality of the RF-7 cabinets. Many people including myself had to deal with the dreaded loose baffle.

owning the 7's and having heard both sets, i'd say you are right about the klf-20's being less fatiguing. the one thing the 7's need is very good equipment backing them up. if you can put a solid 200+ wpc to the 7's with a good processor, they will far surpass the ability of the 20's. that being said, i think lesser equipment sounds better on the 20's than the 7's. the klf's are just more forgiving. sometimes i wish i had bought them instead of my 7's. i'm just waiting until i buy a new pre-pro/amp combo before i put that in concrete...

Bob got it right on the 20's being more forgiving,he'll tell ya first hand about a mid grade Onkyo on 7's,not real good.I also agree with most of what Jim stated.The 20's however just cannot roar like the 7's,just balls nailed to the wall if you have the power,imo.I also had the 83's and a 64 for a few months along with my 7's and 20's,I prefer the 83's over 20's but 7's over 83's(although 83's sounded better on a larger variety of gear,unlike 7's.

The good news is all these speakers sound really good,the 7's need the most quality to bring out their oustanding sound.