JL Audio Fathom 113

Mark Casto

Looks like everyone likes this sub. This is the Gloss Black. Is 2850.00 plus tax a good price. I am looking to buy the RF-83 Ssystem and delete the rt-12d. My other option was to get the Klipsch Ultra 2 sub system the KA-1000-THX amp and 2 kw-120 thx subs. I been told the jl 113 will be better than that set up. Come on audiophiles. Help me out here.

I'm writing from my phone right now, but I'd love to post the link to home theater shack's subwoofer measurements page... The fathom doesn't hold up too well to other far cheaper alternatives on the market right now. The best measuring sub right now is the LMS-5400. In a side by side volume matched AB, the KW-120s really hold their own. Certainly not better, but it's gonna be gonlbs better than the fathom.

One thing to note is that your receiver will need some oomph to its LFE out if you're gonna be drivng the KA-1000.

Or could these be the tests he was referring to? http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11 Unfortunately there is no testing shown of any Klipsch subwoofers, but there are several better buys than the Fathom. BTW I was a little hesitant to refer to another manufacturers website - is it bad taste here? I do believe Craig Chases testing to be very unbiased, but.....

Rod

The Fathom is the finest compact sealed sub,it does not fail at all. If anyone reads the tests linked you will also read the tester's conclusion and obesrvations from the tests.

I like when people who have no experience with a product start talking like they designed it.

There are better performers they are all much larger. The LMS-5400/Ultra in not even in production now and it is a sub driver,you need the driver,proper cabinet and a proper amp/peq to use this beast.

The LMS-5400/Ultra is the finest sub driver ever made,period. But even second hand they go for $800-900(driver only),this great for DIY sub.New these retail for over $1500 (driver only).

Being sealed the Fathom will not win any price performance awards,ported subs are much more efficient. It is still one heck of a great sub. Only the deaf and blind may say otherwise.