Ask a THX Technician - Home Theater Questions

Hi!

You might be able to help me. I have been surfing the internet for about 5 hours a day, searching for the best speakers that would suit me.

I was going for Gigaworks S750, but its a hard to find. Second choice was Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra, yet another hard to find. Third choice is the Logitech's Z5500, easy to find.. but a lot of negative reviews.

So I was wondering if I should just get the Z5500 or setup my own 5.1/7.1 sound system by buying satellite speakers and subwoofers seperately?

I'm a newbie when it comes to sounds.. I just want to get the best out of my HD movies and music.

Thanks!

I am new to the Forum but will gladly answer any questions people have on setup and calibration of Home Theater based on THX specification and quidelines.

Hello there, and welcome! There is plenty to do here, related to Klipsch. Speaking of Klipsch, do you have a preference.

Thanks

I am new to the Forum but will gladly answer any questions people have on setup and calibration of Home Theater based on THX specification and quidelines.

Hello there, and welcome! There is plenty to do here, related to Klipsch. Speaking of Klipsch, do you have a preference.

Thanks

Are you referring to speaker preference for the Klipsch line itself or which brands I prefer in general?

• Like 1

Hi!

You might be able to help me. I have been surfing the internet for about 5 hours a day, searching for the best speakers that would suit me.

I was going for Gigaworks S750, but its a hard to find. Second choice was Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra, yet another hard to find. Third choice is the Logitech's Z5500, easy to find.. but a lot of negative reviews.

So I was wondering if I should just get the Z5500 or setup my own 5.1/7.1 sound system by buying satellite speakers and subwoofers seperately?

I'm a newbie when it comes to sounds.. I just want to get the best out of my HD movies and music.

Thanks!

These are all computer speaker systems correct? Are you actually using them for a computer and desk? or as a poor man's home theatre system for a small room (10 x 10)?

And if you are watching your HD movies on your PC , I'm assuming you have a 5.1 compatible audio card with optical or digital coax out?

• Like 1

THX, I was going to use 4 RS-3II's for my rear surrounds, would I be better off using my RB-51's for the SBL & SBR?

4 RS-3ii's for your rear's? How large is that back wall? 100 ft? You should only need 2 at most for an average large room. However....

Only the side surrounds should be bi-pole or di-pole, like the RS-3ii's....rear speakers should be front firing monopole speakers, like the RB-51. You don't need to disperse the rear sound field as you do on the sides ...tests have shown that it is much harder to localize sound from the rear than from the sides, which is why even just one rear (6.1 config) often will do the trick. Don't forget ...the dedicated rear surround track has very minimal content in most cases...most films barely have an actual single rear track let alone a dual rear track ...so not many speakers are needed to reproduce the sound that gets sent back there. And you would only use 2 surrounds on each side if you had 2 rows of seating or more.

So, if you are going with a full 7.1 setup, use 2 RB-51's across the back, approx. 2ft above the listeners ear position or 2m from the floor, spaced 1-2ft apart for THX ASA config, and 60 degrees apart (30 degrees from center on each side) for discrete 7.1 config. In a 6.1 setup, just use 1 RB-51 at the same height in the center of the wall.

What are the dimensions of your room?

• Like 1

Yes they are all computer speaker systems.

Not sure with the room size though, I have plans on moving somewhere else by December. But I think I'd still fall for the 10x10 room.

Yes my laptop has optical out. But i'm buying this express card.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=16642&nav=1

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=16741&dcs.acsF_P=Sound%20Blaster%20X-Fi%20Xtreme%20Audio%20Notebook&dcs.acsF_A=Surround%20Sound%20upgrade%20kit%20for%20ExpressCard%20Sound%20Blaster&dcs.acsF_X=Product%20Img

Or am I better off buying the USB set?

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=17751&nav=1

Here's my laptop specs, think you might need it.

Sony VAIO AR94US - Owner Made.

Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology

Intel® Core?2 Duo Processor

T7700

(2.4GHz, 4Mb L2, 800MHz FSB)

Intel® 965PM Express Chipset

Intel® Pro-Wireless 3945 a/b/g Card

17in. WUXGA (1920 x 1200)

TFT colour display

(Clear Bright High Colour LCD)

Camera embedded (Motion Eye)

Nvidia GeForce Go 8600M GT 256MB

Dual display 3D GFX acceleration

Blu-ray Disc Drive

2.0Gb DDR2 667MHz Memory

400Gb 7200rpm SATA HDD

Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN

. . . On board 56Kb Modem

Memory Stick Slots / Bluetooth

I haven't bought anything yet though. I just want to get out of this 3d stereo my laptop has and upgrade it to a good 5.1/7.1 system.

Well, right now im just sitting in front of my laptop.

I do have plans on buying a TV or a projector, that would be my next project after I setup my sound system.

I want a surround sound all over the room even though im only watching on a laptop.

I will also use the sound system for music.

I listen more compared to watching. Not too loud though as I only live in an apartment for now.

So what does becomming a certified technician actually entail?

\

I was wondering the same thing......

It entails spending some cash and taking a 3 day course on THX, all their technologies, how and why they work etc....a lot of it is hands on calibration, testing etc...and a lot of it is theory and calculations ...people on the course range from home theater installers who want to learn how to do things a "better" way, manufacturing engineers from speaker and receiver companies, sales guys ...you name it ....

then you have to write a test and pass with a certain grade to become certified. Then you have to re-write the test every 2 years or so to keep your certification current and valid.

• Like 1