New Turntable Support- COMPLETE w/pix

Mallette

This is a second floor rig, so floor movement was an issue. The kids can now dance in there with no skips or bounces. I am not a big tweaker, but both the PAW and I have noticed clearly audible improvement in detail and tightness with this base.

Obviously, if a floor is really shakey you need to look at cieling suspension or something. However, this with a load of ballast in it will handle just about anything else IMHO. The inside is braced with six 2X6 crossbeams and the top just lifts off so placing a few bags of rocks or whatever in there is no problem. Contruction diagrams and cut plan are in another thread not too far back...

Dave

Have to chuckle, for years I had a Turntable on wooden floors, what a pain, then I finally get a room with Cement Floors, and I get rid of Turntable and LP's. Tried suspended from ceiling, that never worked for me, or the shelf on the wall, that was worse ........... Nice support table !!!!!!!

Well, Buck, given your attitdude towards LP's, I am flattered!

If you ever wander down to Texas come spend a weekend with me and you can either confirm your position or rethink it. Last night before bed the PAW and I were looking at family pictures from the server (via MBS-6 now silent and out of sight in an adjoining room) while listening to a marverlous performance by Trevor Pinnock of the completely Bach harpsichord concertos. It is a stunning Archiv edition complete with book. 2.00. There was not a hint of surface noise nor so much as a tick or pop.

Even with all my digital so easily availabe with an air mouse from the sweet spot, we are finding ourselves perusing the stacks of well-worn wax for forgotten treasures more often. The PAW came home from our church second hand store with another 5 LP's for a buck each, one of them a Verve heavy pressing of Stan Getz, and a nearly pristine George Szell/Cleveland.

Do the math...even at around 2500.00 spent for those two 'tables and the support (all over many years, of course) I am still way ahead economically so far as software is concerned. I have 2500 assorted LP's and 78's and I won't even hazard to guess what the cost of that many CD's would be...aside from the point that most of this is not and will never be available in that fine medium.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the answer. The floor is not really shakey just right in front of the TT. I seen the other post with the construction of the support, thanks again. I am looking to build something 3.5' w x 2.5' - 3' h. Just enough to get it off the floor and hopefully get the solid base that I am looking for.

James

Impressive, Dave. The granite top is sweet, indeed.[Y]

I've read online and elsewhere that granite's not as good an isolation material as is hardwood maple. Honestly, I prefer granite (or even slate) myself if I was to ever need a dampening platform for my rig (the concrete floor in my room does the trick for me), but I'm wondering if you ever considered hardwoods instead of stone, or if you had tried wood first and wasn't impressed with its vibration isolation properties?

Well, Jim, as with all things audio, it is the HEARING that counts. The sound I am getting from my TT's is significantly cleaner, defined, pure compared to before. Test wise, I cannot feel any significant vibration of the granite even during deafing levels. Perhaps if it were all you had something might be better, but I suspect the ballast and extreme rigidity of the 3/4" birch plywood make up for any such issues.

I would say that wood, with it's porus structure, being less conductive than granite is counter intuitive. Wonder what a grand piano made of granite would sound like? A violin?

Anyway, regardless of the "facts," this sounds good indeed and looks like a million. Those flecks in it actually look like gold leaf. Really beautiful.

Dave

You're absolutely right, Dave...I'm thinking manufacturers of both stone and wood vibration dampening platforms will boast and make claims that their products are the sure-fire best at what they do, and all others are inferior and should be avoided. If your ears tell you differently, then that's what you should stick with and use IMO.

Maybe you have the best of both worlds since you use both granite and plywood, and loads of ballast to boot. If it works for you, then that's all that matters. I, for one, think your granite platform is top-notch.

With the help of the PAW, we completed the new turntable base. I've not ballasted it yet, but that is no big deal. We are pretty proud of it. I designed the construction, and the PAW chose and had the granite cut and chose and applied the formica black to the support structure. Two weeks at odd moments, and about 300.00 all told.

Granite, huh. Watch out for that radioactivity. [;)]

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&ei=5087&em&en=4c5e895e13e49ae4&ex=1217131200&oref=slogin

The things people get worked up over...

-D

"The E.P.A. recommends taking action if radon gas levels in the home exceeds 4 picocuries per liter of air (a measure of radioactive emission); about the same risk for cancer as smoking a half a pack of cigarettes per day. In Dr. Sugarman’s kitchen, the readings were 100 picocuries per liter. In her basement, where radon readings are expected to be higher because the gas usually seeps into homes from decaying uranium underground, the readings were 6 picocuries per liter. "

Yikes......but more importantly, how does radon affect room acoustics [:P]

DC