Need HELP to CHOOSE?

I am a very new member of this community.... I just bought a very nice 54" Plasma TV and my contractor is coming up with some plans to build a room for me. However as we all know TVs don't come with great speaker systems. The room is little shy of 600sq/ft. You guys all sound like you know your systems. Can you help me with this project? I am also checking out Bose Systems as well, but I know Klipsch builds fantastic systems.

Thank you all....

Ed

First, Welcome to the forum

Second I think you would get more response if this was posted in the home theater section and not in the pilgrimage section.

Third, Don't check out Bose Systems if you: Like full sound, like money in your bank account (bose has a high high profit margin), etc

Fourth, what is your budget and size constraints? Floorstanders, bookshelf, smaller?

Thank you for your help about posting, after I posted it I realized that I made a mistake and posted another one at the Home Theater section. Well I am a new bee, I am sure I will catch on real quick. About the budget question; I am looking to spend about 5K for this room's sound system. I am building the room from ground up so I am open to suggestions for floorstanders, bookshelf, smaller type, but we do like action movies and lots of football (I do the football part.LOL)

Thanks again

Ed

Thank you for your help about posting, after I posted it I realized that I made a mistake and posted another one at the Home Theater section. Well I am a new bee, I am sure I will catch on real quick. About the budget question; I am looking to spend about 5K for this room's sound system. I am building the room from ground up so I am open to suggestions for floorstanders, bookshelf, smaller type, but we do like action movies and lots of football (I do the football part.LOL)

Thanks again

Ed

With 5k you can get very good speakers that are new, if you don't mind used then you can get great speakers.

Is the 5k with or without amp/receiver?

Floorstanders tend to have more bass as the bigger the speaker the more efficent (less watts you need to get loud) btw don't look at the watt the speaker takes as quality. The funny thing is everyone uses that but its essentially useless, sorta like megapixels on digital cameras. To get 3db louder or what you would think when someone says turn it up a bit is about 3 db, you need to double the wattage. Surprisingly most Klipsch speakers only need a few watts to get loud since their efficency is better. For reference my rf-83 is 100 db per watt. So 100 db = 1 watt, 103 db = 2 watts, 106 need 4 watts, 109 needs 8 watts, 112 needs 16 watts 115 needs 32 watts (watch that watts now) 118 db needs 64 watts, 121 needs 128 watts, 124 db needs 256 so when you decide receiver/amp don't buy the one that has just 10 more watts because it is essentially useless.

Bookshelves are a compromise in size for placement. Since I said bigger = more efficent, you need a stronger amp to get as loud. Also I find that bookshelves are nice for a desk or handing but for front speakers you need to get a stand which takes as much space (really even more) than a floorstander.

Center speakers should try to be as much a match with the front left and right to sound good. you want a wall of sound coming to you that is sonically matched. That is why when you pick a speaker company your front three should be the same company as each company's speaker sound a bit different, even within the company's lineup there can be a noticable difference in sound. Also movies and dialog tv the center channel speaker does most of the work so do not skimp on that.

Subwoofers are different. You can buy a different company and still have good bass. Bass is less distinct to the ear than midrange and upper range of music. If you are a movie buff that loves explosions, you should not skimp on a subwoofer but if you have good floorstanding speakers and listen to just music, you can get by without a subwoofer though I noticed that good quality subwoofers add depth but without being noticed. A good subwoofer is one that does not overly call itself out on every passage. It should help emphasize the sound experience but not overwhelm it like some teenager's car that things proper music is only bass. It should be deep and no noticeable vibrations or farts.

Here is also another question, do you really need surround sound? And if so do you need more than 5 channels?

I ask this because football lately is in surround sound but I honestly like it in stereo. Also you can purchase better front speakers and skimp on surround sound till later (assuming you buy a surround sound receiver). Also there is 6.1 or 7.1 formats. Do you like that speaker coming from behind? Most movies rarely use it except for horror type movies where they try to scary you with voices coming from the back. Also if your sofa/couch is pushed all the way back to the wall than it is useless as you need atleast 3 feet of space to work right. Oh the .1 is the subwoofer channel. The rear speakers also are not ment to be behind you but rather directly left and right of your head (think of them as headphones) but are not placed at earlevel but 3 feet above it.

As with wires, that is your decision but I tend to think that wire is wire and monster cable is way overpriced. I think monoprice cables tends to price it within reason. Also a good 14 gauge or 12 gauge pure copper will do just fine, hell some people on the forum use the homedepot brand copper speaker wire on speakers that are in the thousands of dollars. Also hdmi cables are not worth 100 dollars they should be around 10 dollars like on monoprice. I worked at bestbuy and my discount was at cost plus 5%. Those rocketfish hdmi cables that sold for 100 dollars cost me 11 dollars. Its a digital signal it will either work or does not.

Also ask away about any questions I did not cover. Hope this starts you off well enough.