1st Hand CES Report - a *MUST* read!

Ray Garrison

Ah now that brings back memories. While in college I belonged to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Every year we would go to the SAE Convention in Detroit and display our mini baja dunebuggy and our solar powered race car. Conventions are definitely run by Unions. I totally understand the grief that those guys went through. Being a College and a special guest of the Convention we were exempt from all of the Union rules. However we were always being told that we could not pick up a wrench, plug in stuff etc.. we just had to keep saying College and they would leave us alone. After the first year we got bright orange shirts that said College Display on it. Things went smoothly after that. We even loaned them out to people who needed to get stuff inside that was forgotten etc.. (this was all years before 9/11/01).

Over all Conventions are fun but I would not want to have to put up with all the Union stuff.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

EQ---That "Union stuff" is how those guys make a living: you do your job, selling or showing off your stuff, and let them do theirs. The exhibition halls that use Union contractors like the arrangement. Work is done correctly and insurance and liability issues are covered. Suppose some jamoke from the exhibiting company wires something wrong and starts a fire, who's gonna pay? These are public places with attendances in the thousands, things need to be right. Personally I like the idea that my house was wored by a Union electrician who'd been through a 4 year apprenticeship and learned the right way to do things, not just the fast or expediant way.

Hey Tom, the phrase 'featherbedding' comes to mind here. Having in the past seen the CES at Chicago 'extortion' also comes to mind. If 'union' meant it was going to be done right the first time I might be willing to overlook issues such as time and price. As things stand I am an involuntary member of the 'bargaining unit' where I work. Don't get me started.

DJK---Oh yeah, there's some featherbedding but that's OK, it seems that when executives take 3 hour lunches and poke the pooche that's an entitlement but when a common working man gets in a shot it's a scandal. In any case there's far less featherbedding at McCormack Place than in the past, I've worked shows on permit with the Machinery Movers and I had little down-time. Hey, your buddy in Alaska wants me to call, he wants me to get him in touch with Mike Bates, but I lost his phone number, please E-mail me the number.