Klipsch Heritage & Outlaw Audio Settings

thewolf

Looking for some processor settings from those of you who have the 990 processor.

My current set-up:

Outlaw 990 w/7500 amp

Cornwall Mains

Academy Center

KG 1.5 Surrounds

RSW-12 Sub

Should I set large or small speaker settings?

What cross-over freq should I use for each speaker?

Should I run sub in LFE? Is there a freq to set on the back of the sub?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm pretty green to all this technical stuff.

Thanks

Gary

I have an older Outlaw Audio set up...here is what I found worked for me:

Outlaw Audio 950 w/7100 amp

Quartet Mains (I have tried Heresys as well) 80Hz set to small

Academy Center 100Hz small

KSP S-6 Surrounds 100Hz small

Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Sub I believe it is set up to pick up where the Mains at Small leave off (you want seamless...I may be slightly higher than 80Hz)

I check on the Klipsch regular (non forum) page and set my crossovers a bit higher than the lowest my speakers are spec'd

Outlaw and Klipsch work very well together...

Bill

WHOAH!!!...I just re-read my answer...set all speakers to SMALL...how could I have said large???...I also used a Radio Shack SPL meter but actually it was pretty close to listening to the test tones (I have a model that doesn't have the mic)

I am sorry for any confusion I have caused...[:$]

Bill

since your Cornwalls can go down to 38Hz you could maybe set them to 60 on the crossover...the kg 1.5s maybe to 80Hz and your Academy to 100Hz...I found the Academy a bit muddy when I went too much lower...I will double check my settings when I get home (knew I shouldn't do this from work)...

Bill

I am REALLY surprised no one else has chimed in here...like to see me squirm I see...[;)]...I have my Quartets at 80Hz but I may try them at 60Hz since they go down to about the same as your Cornwalls (38Hz)...I do have all the speakers set to small (so the Subwoofer does the lower bass notes) and the Academy and KSP S6s are set at 100Hz...I have had all Heresys (better for music than my current set up) but the Quartets sound a bit nicer than Heresys and the Academy is easier to "hide" than another Heresy (center)...the KSP-S6s take up less room and are "spitters" so they sound a bit better thanstandard speakers for Home Theater...good luck.

Bill

I am REALLY surprised no one else has chimed in here...like to see me squirm I see...Wink...

That is really the reason, you hit it right on the head Bill. I will take a look at my settings after work and post the settings this evening. I have the same Pre as Bill, 950, with the 750 amp. All connected to RF-83, RC-64, RS-62. I do believe I have the mains set to large but I don't know were I have them cut off at, the other speakers are set to small.

James

Good job Bill.[:D]

Using 990 my front cornscalas & back cornwalls are set to large cut at 60. Heresy II center set small at 80. Sub set LFE +. Why? I tried numerous settings with my spks in my room & that's what my ears like best.

Arky is right (again)!

I use and adore the 990, and ran the auto setup because the instructions said so. Then I went back and placed the sizes/crossover based on what I thought it should be. Winner: my ears.

Run large speakers full range - use a slight pad in the crossover to the sub: i.e. if the speaker is rated down to 40, use a 50 cross to smooth out any obvious cutout. Makes a real smooth transisiton. After you follow Arky and everyone's excellent suggestions, put on any dvd with the THX test sets, and use your ears to listen for any crossover transition problems. I have my mains and center set large with a 40 cross, my surrounds set small with a 100 cross, and lfe to the sub.

One of the many cool things about the 990 is the ease with which you can just "start all over" if you don't like a particular result.

Don't forget to forget the numbers, and just enjoy the sound. Klipsch and Outlaw - match made in heaven.

K