Audio clipping problems

roberte4

I'm a newbie here looking for some answers to, what sounds like a similar issue that I'm having. I have the same audio cut-out every 10 or so seconds. I'm not sure where it's coming from but I'm guessing it has something to do with my optical audio cable. I only get this issue when I'm playing games or watching dvd's on my XBOX 360, (my dvd carousel/receiver has quite playing dvd's for a while now). I have a optical audio cable running to my receiver and component cables running to the tv. When I watch tv from the satellite receiver I don't get the audio cut-outs, though, I do have some intermittent audio sync. issues on 1 channel. Does anyone have an idea what may be going on here? Is it the receiver (Samsung HT-SK5), the cable or the Xbox? Thanks.

I'll be honest,your problem sounds to me like an HDCP problem. I have had the same problem with older HD-DVR cable and sat boxes. The problem seems to lie with HDMI testing. One of the co-inventors of HDMI Jano Banks released an article about the lack of proper HDMI testing. This issue seems to have sort of worked itself out to an extent, but one thing you can try to eliminate or at least identify the problem is run an extra digital audio cable, be it fiber or coax digital to the receiver. Set your input settings to use the fiber or coax for your audio source and see if the problem remains. My bet would be that you would have no further problems and you qill still get your digital sound signals equal to HDMI.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the reply, I'll try move some cables around. The problem I'm running into is that the receiver I have (Samsung HT-SK5) doesn't have very many audio inputs, so I would like to still be able to use the optical audio input on the Samsung receiver, (I hate getting back behind our tv, not a lot of room back there). My tv's about 5-6 years old (Sony HD ready rear projection). It only has one DVI input in the back but plenty of component inputs. I recently had to get a new HD satellite receiver, (complements of Direct TV) which only had a HDMI output so I bought a HDMI to DVI adapter. It seems to be working ok but I split the audio to the Samsung receiver. I'm not sure if there's a better way to hook it up. My wife and I are thinking it might be a good time to buy a new home theater system once we get back out tax returns, maybe a new flat panel as well, do you have any suggestions? Thanks again.