theatre, opinions desired

orthj

Hey Klipsch peoples:

What do you all think of this set-up? Sorry, no pics available. Looking for advice on amp upgrades, affordable processor, or other.

TV. Cheap 32" RCA (drooling for new one but so $$$ and I am graduate student)

Fronts: Klipsch Forte IIs

Center: Klipsch KV3

Surrounds: Klipsch Kg1s

Sub: Paradigm PW-2200

Forte II amp: NAD 2700 THX

Center and Surround amp: Adcom GFA6000

DVD: Sony S560D (also used as processor-not much flexability here)

Interconnects: mostly Audioquest and one Straightwire

Cabling: Audioquest to Forte IIs, Monster everywhere else including sub

VCR: Panasonic...can't remember the #, is pretty good

That about does it. Thanks for your opinions, good or bad.

------------------

James D. Orth

• Like 1

Receiver? Pre-amp?

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

I think a pre/pro or receiver used as a pre/pro would be a good option, it would probably give you more flexibility if you need to hook up other digital or analog sources.

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

Diggs:

I forgot to mention that I have Acurus RL-11 and Counterpoint Solid 8 preamplifiers.

Also, there are 2 Klipsch KT-LCR THX front channels that aren't being used. They were part of a second system in the basement but...I should move one of them up to upgrade the center channel.

Anyone have a good suggestion for an affordable pre/pro that has DD and DTS?

NON-RECEIVER. I am not a receiver kind of persion, all separates.

------------------

James D. Orth

• Like 1

are you opposed to using a receiver as a pre/pro, bypassing its amplifier section completely?

if so, then I'd probably try and wait for the Outlaw 950, unless you're in a hurry.

if not, I'd consider the Denon 3802 as a preamp, the only thing bothering me A LOT about it is the lack of a properly adjustable xover.

see our discussion in the "Big Towers vs. Smaller Towers" thread.

orth-

You have a great system...Almost identical to mine:

Forte II front

KV-4 center (used to be KV-3)

2pr KG 1.2 for surround and back center

PW2200

AQ cables all round

Denon AVR 4800/POA 5200 combo

Various Denon components

27" ProScan (the weakest link)

I would certainly look at any of the higher-end Denon receivers as they are incredible. I'd love to get one of the new AVR 4802 units with all the extra bells/whistles, or maybe get the 5800 and then go for the Denon upgrade kit for PL2 and other goodies.

jhawk, also denon skipped right over the 5802 (guess since they consider an upgraded 5800 to be 5802) & launched a 5803 at CES '02. there was a thread on it under this section.

due out in MAR/02. will have post processing incld bass mgmt for compatiable denon dvd-audio player (dvp-9000). & will have ability to convert Comp & s-vid to component vid.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-28-2002 at 01:46 PM

I'm not really that opposed to using a receiver as a pre/pro except that...why pay for those amplifiers and then let them sit and get dusty. If the price was right I guess it doesn't matter though...

The Aragon is a sweet piece, but the price isn't that sweet. Similar is the Bryston SP1. Has anyone seen or heard the NAD processor, the one in their silver series? All of these are a little rich for my blood I think.

Doesn't anyone make a nice little no-frills pre/pro like the old ONKYO ED301, or Sony...just something to get me by?

Anywho. Have you guys seen the Klipsch THX theatre for sale in EBAY...priced a little high don't you think? I know it has 2 SW15 THX but still!

Later, man!

------------------

James D. Orth

• Like 1

orth, that's the thing. w/ the prices on these new receivers they practically give away the amps. the 2 prepros i like are of course the B&K Reference 30 in the $2k range which i think competes well w/ the like of the much more expensive like the Stage One.

And, when it comes out that outlaw 950 for a lil over $1k. for that price on a pre/pro it seems hard to beat because it comes w/ a lot of frills/features too.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

yes, it seems to me that with the economies of scale they are making (remember, receivers are much more popular than separates), rewceiver manufacturers achieve a greater amount of features and very good quality for a price that is often comparable, if not inferior to that of good pre/pros. a lot of people use that kind of combination with great results.

and you could always use those internal amps to drive speakers in other rooms in a multiroom setup...

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"