Tributaries Audio Cables, anyone using them?

Q-Man

I brought a McIntosh MC126 back to the dealer and traded up to the MC206. I'm almost finished rebuilding my wall unit and new falce corners. The falce corners weigh much more then the Klipschorns. I shouldn't break loose any more drywall.

Anyway, now that I'm about to put everything back together, I'm thinking about cables.

I read a face off artical in the Nov.1998 issue of Home Theater,where they did a blind listening test between eight brands. They used a switching box where they could instantly switch back and forth between the different cables. The Tributaries came out on top with a much cheaper XLO brand coming a close second.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 01-26-2002 at 10:37 AM

Did you say Tributaries cables.

Yes I have a dozen interconects from Tributaries.From subwoofer interconects to their silver High-End interconects.

Very good value for the dollar,a bit bright thier silver interconects.Very detailed and transparent.The gorgeous WBT RCA conectors are a bonus.

I would recomend all Tributaries interconets,great quality cables and priced right.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I was in a hurry to hook up the McIntosh MC206 amp., so I just ran out & picked up seven pairs of Monster cables 400 MK2 audio cables.

Turns out the amp. was damaged durning shipping from the factory to the dealer. When I unpacked it, I could see that it took a rather hard hit. It comes screwed down to a 3/8" board to hold it in from the sides of the box. The board was dented and the screws were bent. Only one of the 3 meters was working. The amp is now in transit back to the dealer and he is ordering me another one from the factory.Can't win sometimes.

I think that I may try some of the Tributaries one of these days. I did order the Tributaries Ground Guard for the incoming TV cable line and a special power cord made by Wire World. This power cord is to replace the McIntosh cord and is said to eliminate the AC hum related noice that I'm picking up. The cord cost $200.00, I must have "Sucker" written on my forehead, but the Mc. dealer recommended the cord. I'll let you know if it works if anyone is interested.

Mike L.

If your reading this, your visit is postponed again. I should de getting the new amp. in about two weeks. The new falce corners are a big improvement. They eliminated a lot and maybe all of the nasty vibrations that were coming from the wall unit and side walls.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

No problem, Q... let me know when. Also, If you're in my area (Oviedo), let me know as well. I've got my system running on all cylinders and it's sounding pretty good. I just purchased the Outlaw ICBM to manage the bass from my DVD player. I've actually turned off the digital cable and am using the 5.1 analog cables for all sources (DVD-A, DVD-V, DD, DTS, PCM) as this sounds better to me. I think the DACS in the Panasonic RP-91 are better than the ones in my Denon 4800. If you haven't heard DVD-A yet then you're in for a treat...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

My ICBM is hooked up to the RX-V3000 and the cables to the power amp hanging loose , waiting for the new amp. I just let the amp sit in the box for a while, while I finished the wall unit. I wish I would have taken it out sooner. I would be that much closer to getting the replacement.

How do you like the ICBM? I havn't been able to try mine yet. Are you using the recombine setting?

DVD audio will be my next step. I was waiting for more disc to hit the market, know after buying the McIntosh and the other related stuff, I will be waiting for more cash. No more steak, it's bread and water for me.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Q,

I think the ICBM has made a pretty big difference in my system. I have been playing nothing but DVD-A for the last couple of weeks now and I can't get enough of it. My DVD player has really no bass mgmt to speak of and only sends the .1 material to my subwoofer when using the analog outs. I enjoy listening to a lot of the DVD-A discs in Advanced Resulution stereo and I was not picking up anything below 40hz. The ICBM has made a big difference there.

I too would place the unit between my amp and preamp except I only have a separate 3-channel amp driving the front soundstage. I'm using the Denon to power the 4 surrounds. At the moment, I am not using the recombine switch as I don't really understand it. I guess I could try it and see what happens. Anywho, still looking forward to hearing your rig and hoping you're interested in hearing mine as well...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

This is my understanding of the recombine switch.

As you know the ICBM has five crossover settings for each speaker. They are 40,60,80,100,&120Hz, plus a bypass setting. Bypass means just that, the crossover is bypassed and the chosen speaker receives full range signals. Also nothing from that speaker (channel) is sent to the sub woofer. Any point chosen for a particular speaker means that any frequency below that point will be sent to the sub woofer. If you want the low frequency signals from the channels where you selected a crossover point to the sub woofer to also be sent to the main speakers, then you turn on the recombine switch. Now, the mains and sub will both receive these frequencies from the other channels that arn't set to bypass. This is the tricky part. If you select bypass for the main speakers then the low frequencies from the other chosen channels will only be sent to the sub woofer. Setting the mains to bypass kind of turns off the recomebine switch, even though it's still in the on position. I don't like this.

I bought the ICBM so I can send full range to the rear Imperials and use a 60Hz cut off to the rear LaScalas. Trying to get the best of both worlds. Now any low frequencies signals that the Imperials miss will be sent to the sub by the LaScala rears.

I plan on setting the LaScala front center to 80HZ. The Rear center to 40Hz. Because of the way the recombine switch works ,I'm forced to set the main channel Klipschorns to 40Hz instead of bypass. This may not be a bad thing. I will have to wait and see.

I don't want to set the sub above 45Hz. I would rather have the Klipschorns handle that.If I select bypass for the Klipschorns then I would have to set the sub for 80Hz to handle what is coming from the front center LaScala. I don't want that.

The RX-V3000 has low frequency test tones down to 35 Hz. These are to aid in setting up your subwoofer to match the rest of your speakers. Before sending the McIntosh amp back, I used these tones along with a sound level meter on all my speakers to get an idea of where to set the ICBM crossover points. I was surprised , the Klipschorns don't drop any at 35Hz with the new falce corners. The front center LaScala drops fast under 80Hz. I think this is do to it's high position, upside down and 18" from the ceiling. The rear LaScalas drop fast below 60Hz. They too are upside down , but the bottom is almost touching the ceiling. The ceiling acting like a floor for bass reinforcement.

The rear Imperials start dropping off at 40 Hz .They should be in a corner like the Klipschorn, but they are along the side walls. In corners they sound stronger the the Klipschorns. I guess I have more work to do here. Right now I'm trying the University out for the rear center. It was falling off at 40 to 45Hz.

I'll let you know if I can head over your way, before I finish setting everything up. DVD audio and SVS , you know I have to check that out.

Later, Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 02-01-2002 at 10:21 PM

Q,

Thanks for the explanation on the Recombine switch. My Chorus's do not extend as low as your Khorns and Imperials. The Chorus I's I am using as mains at the moment, only extend down to 45hz. I have the x-over set to 60 for them. My center (KLF-C7) extends to 75hz and I have that set at 80. The Chorus II rears extend to 39hz and I also have that set at 60hz. I have been continuing to play with it a bit but I think this is my best setting. The one thing I like about the ICBM is you can set your subwoofer level at 0 when you balance the volume level with the VE or AVIA disc, but can adjust the sub output by turning that knob versus the sub level on your receiver/pre-pro when you need to turn the bass up or down. Blue Man Group's "Audio" is a prime example where I have to turn the bass down 4 or 5 notches or it will clip my Samson amp at about 100db. By turning it down a few notches, I can play it at 105db-110db (excruciatingly loud) with no problems.

I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to hearing your monster rig and hope you get a chance to hear mine too. I'm still having a problem with one of my Chorus II's and am not sure what's going on. It is very noticeable with the first track on Diana Krall's "Love Scenes". I'm not sure if it is the speaker cabinet or if something else in the room is vibrating. Anyway, was hoping you might be able to help me track it down.

Talk to you soon,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

hey guys! i've been ice stormed & the cable tv/internet is still out. but at least i now have power & this slow dial-up connect at $2.50/hr. cwm14.gif

mike, great to hear u like that icbm. same here as it sounds better w/ the pre/pro set all speaks small & sub-thx setting; rather than large-sub ultra (both sub & speaks, which would be same as the recombine feature on the icbm). i find this get 'em to better jive w/ the sub using the set crossover point (both low & high pass).

does it let u set the sub low pass seperate from the speaker groups high pass? or does it do it automatically based on the high pass (speaker group) settings. just wonder how that works.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa,

Did you get an ICBM as well? I do have the Denon set to SMALL but I think my 5.1 Analog Inputs (EXT-IN) connection doesn't even look at that (bypasses the Denon's DAC's and DSP's). I have the Panny's speakers set to LARGE so that a full signal goes into the ICBM for all channels. It can then send what to what dependent upon my crossover settings. I'm not sure what you mean by Sub-THX versus Sub-Ultra. I don't think I have those settings in my Denon.

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

does it let u set the sub low pass seperate from the speaker groups high pass? or does it do it automatically based on the high pass (speaker group) settings. just wonder how that works.

Also not quite sure what you mean by this? My Sub is passive and doesn't have any of those settings. Maybe you can expalin that to me as well...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

mike, i was talkin about my pre/pro. it has adjustable cross settings though they're universal to all speakers. & those other things were the sub settings on it, similar to the fronts+LFE or LFE only settings on your denon.

yea, your ext-in inputs do bypass the dsp so makes no dif what the denon's set at as far as running your player through that. but you say your player has bass mgmt settings(?) guess those only apply for the non-dvd-audio applications(?) regardless w/ the icbm yea you definitely set everything before it to large/full-range as the icbm then does your bass mgmt.

the low pass crossover is what starts cutting the sub output at a set freq tailing off on up at a sloping rate. sounds like the icbm just uses a high pass for the speakers & sends all that to the sub. however, this recombine feature must use a low pass somewhere or

all the full output from those speakers would go to the sub. i'll check the icbm manual. i'm just curious.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

ok i was mistaken on the recombine on that icbm (shoulda read q-man's post better Redface.gif). it just sends the other speaks low bass also to the fronts.

though it looks like there is a low pass as you can adjust it's slope between the 2 choices, 12 or 36.

but how & where the low pass cross for the sub is set i couldn't find. maybe it's fixed at some higher point, or it moves based on the highest cross point setting for that certain speaker group. whatever works.

so if i used it i'm sure i'd just set the various speakers from 40-80hz according to where they do best, turn the recombine off, & use the normal sub slope @ 12db/oct.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-03-2002 at 02:16 PM

mike, u could give it a sound test but w/ the svs i would think u'd u want it on the normal 12db/octave slope.

in the icbm manual that's the only reference to it's low pass filter I could find. it controls the rate that the sub output tails off upward in frequency (pretty much like an active crossover control on a powered sub).

the 36db/octave would cut the sub ouput at a faster rate above whatever the low pass cross point is.

------------------

My Home Systems Page