Serious Peak Buzz Record Selection Question

pauln

You are spending the evening listening to music and after a couple of albums you find you are approaching "peak buzz"; this is the point where you know that you are most receptive to enjoying listening and you want to maximize the joy by playing that very special album that always offers the ultimate in listening enjoyment. Yes, you have a few that do it for you among the ones in your collection, but there is a special album that holds the first rank among the very best. It the one that has never failed to be everything you expect, the one you have listened to for years and never gets old, the one that always blows you completely away with bliss and rapture, the one you reserve for "peak buzz".

I know each of you have such an album that defines your personal idea of the best of the best. What is that album for you?

Mine has been Steve Hillage "Fish Rising" since 1975. The first time I heard it I had the scary feeling of certainty that this might be the best thing I had or would ever hear. That has been true for over 30 years. I dearly love many of my albums, but this particular one holds a special place that has yet to be surpassed.

So, what's yours?

post-16099-13819399856894_thumb.jpg

post-16099-13819410013712_thumb.jpg

Amused to Death, Roger Waters.

Its surround sound without any surround sound. Voices and sounds appear from the sides and rear of the room where there are no speakers. And of course, there's that HUGE one-cycle concussion wave you can feel pass right through you, the floor and sofa that will wake you up regardless if you're sleeping or not.

The Nightfly - Donald Fagan

jerol

Recently heard New Frontier on a friend's system; forget the amp at the moment, but the speakers were Hawthorne Audio OBs. The soundstage was HUGE! I will never forget that experience. I have yet to duplicate it on my modest system in my tiny listening room. Bet it sounds very nice on your Khorns and Cornwalls!

My reach-to album: hard to pin it down, but I would say almost anything by Steely Dan. Every couple of months I have a 'Dan session and play four or five albums in a row. Quality stuff! Supertramp would probably run a near second to that methodology.

Rick