PS3 question

dkp

...I have another PS3 question. I am considering some receivers that do not have HDMI connections. Has anyone compared the component out (using an adapter cable) and the optical audio? How does look and sound compared to HDMI?

I’ve had mine since April and couldn’t be happier.

Also have an older receiver so I have HDMI going to the TV and Optical to the receiver. One thing you should keep in mind is the PS3 can not output optical and HDMI audio simultaneously so you have to make a choice. Obviously, I chose optical. BluRay, Standard DVD, and PS3 games sound fantastic. Can’t wait to upgrade the receiver and here HD audio to go along with the HD video!

You posts says the PS3 can not output optical and HDMI audio simultaneously, then say you can't wait to upgrade your receiver so you can hear HD audio. Wouldn't that HD audio come from the HDMI cable? So then its not the PS3's fault, its your receiver? I am getting a PS3 at the end of the month and your post just has me curious. Does the PS3's HDMI play audio and video? or is it like you said, you need an optical along with the HDMI?

...I have another PS3 question. I am considering some receivers that do not have HDMI connections. Has anyone compared the component out (using an adapter cable) and the optical audio? How does look and sound compared to HDMI?

I’ve had mine since April and couldn’t be happier.

Also have an older receiver so I have HDMI going to the TV and Optical to the receiver. One thing you should keep in mind is the PS3 can not output optical and HDMI audio simultaneously so you have to make a choice. Obviously, I chose optical. BluRay, Standard DVD, and PS3 games sound fantastic. Can’t wait to upgrade the receiver and here HD audio to go along with the HD video!

You posts says the PS3 can not output optical and HDMI audio simultaneously, then say you can't wait to upgrade your receiver so you can hear HD audio. Wouldn't that HD audio come from the HDMI cable? So then its not the PS3's fault, its your receiver? I am getting a PS3 at the end of the month and your post just has me curious. Does the PS3's HDMI play audio and video? or is it like you said, you need an optical along with the HDMI?

The PS3 will allow users to output the video via HDMI and audio via optical but will not output audio via HDMI and optical simultaneously. Since his receiver does not have the HDMI input he is using the optical output on the PS3 for audio and the HDMI to his tv. I am running something similar although my video signal runs to a projector and the audio (via optical) to my preamp. When I upgrade my preamp I will be able to use the single HDMI cable as will he when he upgrades his receiver. Clear as mud, right? [;)] I hope that helps.

Correct. I was just warning if you hook the PS3 to your TV via HDMI, and to your receiver via optical, you will not be able to listen to your TVs speakers since the PS3 will not output a signal to HDMI and optical at the same time. If you stay with HDMI to hook up the TV and receiver you will be golden with the added benefit of the HD BluRay Audio formats!!! Like I said, can't wait to upgrade.

Me neither (regarding upgrading).

BTW, does anyone know if this problem is a hardware or a software issue? My guess is hardware or else I would assume it would have been addressed in a system update (unless it has and I don't know about it).

BTW, does anyone know if this problem is a hardware or a software issue?

My guess is hardware too. I didn't want to bring up a "deal breaker" issue with the PS3 with this. Just wanted the poster to be aware. It really isn't a big deal, but would be nice to listen to a DVD/Game through the TV speakers without a trip to the set-up menus. Other than that, the optical audio from DVD/BluRay/Games is very good if only vanilla DD/DTS. I don't want to hear the HD audio formats since the Mrs has a budget/schedule I should follow[:'(]

Other than that, the optical audio from DVD/BluRay/Games is very good if only vanilla DD/DTS. I don't want to hear the HD audio formats since the Mrs has a budget/schedule I should follow[:'(]

Nah, you're not missing much. Only the absolute best sound I've ever heard from any media format. [;)]

I agree the PS3 hd sound from the the hdmi connection really sounded noticably better any thing else I have heard. I even have a HD DVD that did not sound as good. I like to watch (listen) to concerts and I have noticed a huge difference in the music. I notice the quality increase to a lesser extent on movies. This may be due to the mastering/recording quality of the movies.

Does anyone have a reference sound track that they think diplays the best of HD audio?

Other than that, the optical audio from DVD/BluRay/Games is very good if only vanilla DD/DTS. I don't want to hear the HD audio formats since the Mrs has a budget/schedule I should follow[:'(]

Nah, you're not missing much. Only the absolute best sound I've ever heard from any media format. Wink

Come on wuzzer, I'm having a hard enough time not upgrading and keeping on timeline/budget without additional temptation. [:'(]