Budget receiver for Synergy series?

Killian

Hello everybody,

I'm moving to Hi-Fi from my basic 5.1 multimedia set, and really liked Klipsch F-1 during the test tour. So, I'm close to buying F1-C1-B2 combo now, and want to consult with you about the matching receiver.

My priorities for AVRs:

1)Good tonal balance. Strongly articulated high frequences are no good for me. I prefer tight balanced sounding, and decent, but not overwhelming bass.

2)Versatility - I will use this set for both music - classic and modern rock, pop, trip-hop, etc., and HT as well.

3)Overall SQ

I want to spend US $400-500 on a new receiver. So, I've made a short-list of available products in my region with corresponding price tag:

1)Lower-end Denons - 1507,1707. I have read mixed reviews on them, however - most of them say it can't really compete with best offers in this price range, as opposed to more mature models.

2)Cambridge Audio 540R - once again, mixed reviews.

3)Marantz 5400

4)Sony STR-DA 1200 ES. According to this review, it sounds better than Denon 1908 and CA 540R. Other sources, including What Hi-Fi, also give it very good feedback. What is your experience, will it pair with Synergy?

Onkyos and HKs are a bit overpriced here, so they are not in the list.

I also understand that the best way to choose AVR is to hear it - but that's not always possible. I can't find a store with at least F1s and 1-2 mentioned receiver.

So, what is your opinion? Which one will pair with Synergy and deliver good sound?

Thank you in advance!

I can only comment about the str sony's because that's what I've heard in the real world. Maybe some of those others you mentioned would be better than a panny, I used a he 100 panny or something like that which was pretty decent for 250 new. Not the best but for the price it was. Maybe the es series is alright, but I haven't heard it, and haven't heard a decent sony for sound in a long time. I've also never seen one to last more than ten years.

Keep in mind this is just one guy's opinion, give it a little time and others will chime in.

TX-SR605 should be closer to 400 bucks new now. I have an all synergy setup and they souund great with the Onkyo. The only denon I auditioned was a higer end mid-high 988 that sounded pretty good but not enough for the price at the time. You may be able to get a good deal on that 988 model if denon is the way you want to go. gl

• Like 1

Hi,

TX-SR605 offers start from $800 :)

HI-FI prices are pretty much fun in Ukraine - while some distributors manage to keep them on worldwide level, some just let them loose. Only Onkyo in $400-500 range is SR304E model. Is it any good?

As for the Denon 988, it is simply unavailable. eBay shipments from US will add ~$200 on top of the price, which is not good.

I have the F-3's, C-3 and Sub 12. Not sure if Yamaha is avaiable where you are but the RX-V661 powers what I have very well. I would suggest going with the RX-V663 at this point. I see those around in your price range. Of course this is just my opinion. Good luck.

-Rocko

Thanks for info on Yamahas.

I've listened to RF series speakers powered by some Yamaha AVR - the sound was too high-pitched for my taste. Will Synergy sound similiar to RFs?

BTW, Pioneer Elite sounded just good with F-1. Out of the price range, though.

I was actually going to sell the F-3's and buy the RF 82's. I listened to the 82's multiple times but each time enjoyed the sound from the F-3's better. Again this is just my opinion with my ears but I really enjoy the Yamaha and the F-3's.

Rocko

The ES Series is a good series .............. much better than the consumer level of Sony found at Best Buy and Circuit City !!!!!!!!

I agree with OLdbuckster but the ES serie will cost a lot more too

Look up the pionner elite 90 serie. At $ 299 it is the best bang for the buck if you don't mind the fact it is HDMI1.2 and not 1.3.

I have it driving my RF 83, it is doing a good job at it too. I think it will meet what your looking for.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538649660/pioneer-vsx-90txv

The ES Series is a good series .............. much better than the consumer level of Sony found at Best Buy and Circuit City !!!!!!!!

I agree with OLdbuckster but the ES serie will cost a lot more too

Look up the pionner elite 90 serie. At $ 299 it is the best bang for the buck if you don't mind the fact it is HDMI1.2 and not 1.3.

I have it driving my RF 83, it is doing a good job at it too. I think it will meet what your looking for.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538649660/pioneer-vsx-90txv

Nice price on that Pioneer AVR! Can't find it for sale locally, though.

DA-1200 ES' average price is $450. What do you think of it in pair with Klipsch? Will it sound similiar to Pioneer Elite?

Thanks.

I have no experience with any Sony receivers, I have a HK 645 , Yamaha RVX series , Kenwood THX and a Pioneer elite receivers. The pioneer 90 is the best bang for the buck as far as I'm concern.

Regarding the sound preference it is a matter of what you like but I don't think that you will be disappointed with it.

Don't you have a local Best Buy? They do have that receiver in stock, you could go over and listen to it.

FYI Vanns has no shipping and no taxes on there products.