My new - old toy!

BigBusa

I still have a Yamaha CR-800 Natural Sound Receiver from the mid-70s. Yamaha was quite a different company back then. A the time, we had the CR-800, YPD6 turntable, Nakamichi Z1000 and 600II tape decks, and Advent speakers..which we traded for ADS L620. Lordy, those were the days.... Still, to be honest, even though those vintage SS amps were made like beasts, they still didnt hold a candle to the tube amps that came before them. I just didnt know that at the time. I will say everything from the era that I have still works except the Nakamichi 600II wedge deck. I still have it but it needs help. The 600 wedge amp was another strange one....I believe Jazman still has one of those relatively rare beasts.

kh

Yes mobile,

Just breezing through when I saw this thread. I still have the Nakamichi power amp and plan to keep it for now. I think I'm going to mate it with a PAS3X to provide some tube injected warmth to a pair of Hereseys. BTW, tonight I connected the Moondogs, the Rega 3, and the PP-1. WOW! There is a reason so many people have written nice things about the Moondogs. They make Miles, Coltrane, Cannonball, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, and Branford, and on, sound sooo damn good! On my way to update the Bi-wire post.

Klipsch out.

jazman- Do you have any reccomendations for shops here in the Bay Area inwhich to see and experience vintage and new tube gear? I'll bet Clipped and Shorn would love to go on a short road trip checking out some cool gear. This request should probably have it's own thread...later today.

fini

A road trip. Hmmm.

There's one in Walnut Creek, Stereo Unlimited, and I'm sure there are a couple in SF, one on Union St, the other near the Embarcadero, but I haven't ventured to SF lately. The road trip sounds like a great idea but I have to work it around my sons hockey road trips each weekend until the end of their season in a couple of months.

Klipsch out.

mdeneen, The Sound Well just sold, via eBay, a pair of Cornwalls. Clipped and Shorn went down to check them out durring the auction, but missed out on getting them (as you know, he now has a pair he's quite fond of). Don't know if they have much older, exotic stuff. Do you have any recomendations here in Sonoma County?

fini

Well, I just can't stay out of the thrift shops and flea markets, looking for that hidden gem, Grandpa's old fashioned Hi-Fi, discards of "upgrades" (that may, in fact be downgrades). The only "tube gear" I find (which is rare) is encased in big ol' consoles. Anything salvageable in these beasts?

My latest thrift shop purchase was a Nakamichi SR-3A receiver. It had a 90 day warranty, so for $40, I figured, "What the hay." Here's a shot of one (thanks again, Mike):

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/hi-fi/NakSR-3A_collage.jpg

I've got it hooked up to the Cornwalls with some generic 12 ga. monster wire, and it sounds great! I've been playing a lot of lp's on my quite modest JVC QL-A2 turntable.

Does anyone here have any experience with this Nak receiver?

fini

fini,

Count me in on the road trip to tubeland. I just looked in the Sonoma county phone book and it looks like the one high-end shop Santa Rosa is no longer listed. I think it was called something like Sound Masters {?}.

As far as our hooked up Cornwalls go, I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

I think I mentioned to you that I found an old Fisher receiver in the trash. It has tubes (push pull KT-66 etc. ). I have yet to fix the power cord (needs a plug), after reading about your super bargain finds maybe today is the day to plug this in and see what happens. Any precautions or suggestions?

Don't worry, it is nowhere near the Cornwalls. I'll hook it up to some thrift store specials I have here.

-Pickled and Snockered

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 02-02-2002 at 04:11 PM