General Old Speaker Question

darkside

I was just reading an old thread about Mcintosh stuff when I came across a post from oldbuckster that read:

"anything from the 80's needs crossovers, or atleast the
caps changed, but don't believe me ask around here ....."

So, not really knowing for sure, I'm asking. I have some old Infinities that, at the newest, are 22 years old. I haven't taken a look at them, but I would assume that the crossovers are still original. Would it be wise to at least replace the caps (which is something I can do myself)? Or should I look for completely new crossovers? I'm not trying to ask how they would sound (since this is the Klipsch forum after all), but would it generally be a good idea? Thanks!

Guest srobak

Yeah, I would be worried about surrounds before crossovers on almost any speaker, really. I have had some Altec cabs from the late 70's that sounded great, rotted woofers and all. :) New drivers is all it needed.

Yeah, I understand about the woofers, but luckily for me, the guy who I bought them from (last Friday actually) said he had the foam replaced in something like 2004, and I checked them out arnd they're basically new. Which is why I'm asking about the caps.

Another two questions I want to bring up...if anyone's looked at the pics on that website, each speaker has mid/high frequency attenuator on the crossover. I've actually messed around with these, but whenever I adjust them, the tweeter/mid gets scratchy. Would it be a good idea to clean these? I read somewhere about something called Deoxit that is supposed to be good, but I really don't know. The other thing, is there anywhere where I can decently priced replacement fuses? Stereophile did a review of Hifituning.com fuses and said that the high quality fuses do make a difference, but those suckers are expensive. Thanks!

The S-shaped component in the schemo is the 1.25 amp fuse. I would just get an inexpensive fuse, say at the hardware store, or you could buy online at various sites. Make sure you buy a fast blow fuse! Parts Express is good for pieces/parts. The scratchiness you're hearing is from dirty controls, and a good spray of deoxit will clean them up.

Those values are fine, well within tolerance.

The original caps are probably still O.K. There is a difference between caps that are going bad and caps that are functioning properly but just don't sound very good. The issue with the capacitors in the old Klipsch networks is that most of them were probably between 10 and 20 years old before Klipsch even started using them. So, a speaker built in 1975 might have caps in it that are now 40 years old. As for the polyesters Klipsch used in the 80's -- they are actually fine. There's no real reason to replace them unless you want to use something that just plain sounds better -- a good Bennic or Dayton polypropylene is a good place to start.

Ok, and for the higher values, the 50 and 600uf caps, would an non polar electrolytic work, or would I still want to stick with polypropylene caps? I can always wire some in parallel to get the desired values, or is there a drawback to that I don't know of?

Large value film caps can be very expensive if you can find them in the values you are looking for. You can probably find a 50uF, but not a 600 in a good quality cap. The other problem is size, they can be quite large and may not fit onto the existing circuit board, or you may have to completely modify the board to make it fit.

Also, they are not usually as important to the sound as the lower value caps. That's where you should spend your money.

Depending on what you paid for the speakers, that might influence how much you want to spend on the caps. No sense putting a Duelund copper VSF cap in a $500 pair of speakers. a 2.0 uF value will run you $180 each. Your speakers and probably your electronics wouldn't allow you to hear the difference. Type in capacitors into the search engine to look for some cap recommendations.

Give it a shot, at least they will be performing up to original specs. Try and match the values as close as possible, 5% error is good with 10% being fine. Remember that the caps also have an error value within 5 - 20% depending on the type of cap and the manufacturer.

Good luck.

Yeah, I acutally paid 100 for the pair, but how much they are really

worth I have no idea. When I get the chance I'll order some of the Dayton 1% poly caps. For the 19uf, I plan on wiring a 15 and 4 in parallel which will work and then npe of course for the 50s and 600. So I'm looking at spending maybe 35 dollars, which compared to what I paid is a bit ridiculous, but with what I would like to assume to be the value of the speakers, that's not that bad.

Just a little bit of advice on the Infinity crossover repair.

The caps and boards are "glued" in to the panel. The boards are extremely fragile and utmost care and patience should be taken in working on these. I do them all the time and on occasion still damage a board.

Pic attached of Infinity showing the glue.

Harry

post-24628-13819400339524_thumb.jpg

post-24628-1381941048829_thumb.jpg

I try to cut out the Infinity. The crossover mounting is plastic and melts easily. The glue does NOT melt easily. DO NOT PRY ON THESE!!!

The glue on some of these is spread everywhere and you can't get to most of it. That's what makes it so tedious to get out.

Take your time, don't force anything, and particularly watch removing the attenuators. The solder joints are on the edges of the boards and the boards seperate and break very easily.

Harry